95 explorer xlt, what type of power steering fluid to use? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

95 explorer xlt, what type of power steering fluid to use?

Vikram

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4W
Just wanted to double check before I do the change. I can't find any mention of power steering fluid in the Owners Manual. I know that lot of ford cars used ATF fluid for power steering, so should I just use Mercon V in my 95 explorer or what would you guys recommend?

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Get rid of the ads!
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!
. First register on the forum, then join the Elite Explorers to get rid of the ads!

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
You can use either. I’ve used both with good luck. I had pretty good results quieting down the typical whiny pump with a full fluid swap.

96eb96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
Just wanted to double check before I do the change. I can't find any mention of power steering fluid in the Owners Manual. I know that lot of ford cars used ATF fluid for power steering, so should I just use Mercon V in my 95 explorer or what would you guys recommend?
Pre 96 could be type F fluid. ( I have 95 Ford cars and it is listed as such in the manual).

Mercon or Mercon V should be fine. My 96 specifies Mercon. There are no friction plates there, it is just used as an 20wt oil.

Daymon Powell

Reaction score
City, State
WILMINGTON N.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 FORD EXPLORER XLT
My Haynes man. says 91-95 type F
96-01 Mercon.Hope this helps.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
The pump and system is the same for 95 and 96, they just updated to a newer (presumably better) fluid spec. The best fluid would (probably) be a fully synthetic major brand power steering fluid. (Mercon V is semi-synthetic)

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
Ditto. All Ford PS systems have used ATF, and without clutches, the newest fluid recommended is good for all of them.

I prefer PS fluid because it's made for the PS, best brands and synthetic will be the best and quietest of course. Just avoid lower quality fluids, the PS isn't very picky. I like the Lubegard PS fluid as my top choice.

BUXTER

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SUMMERVILLE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 MERC MOUNTY 5.0 AWD
Mercon was superseded by Mercon V in the PS pumps also.

Attachments

• FORD MOTORCRAFT TRANS FLUID CHART.pdf
    232.5 KB · Views: 48