95 expo xlt 4.0 dohc... idling problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 expo xlt 4.0 dohc... idling problems

WmB95_expo

Reaction score
City, State
Shelbyville, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I have a stock 95 explorer with id say about 250,000 miles on it. my problem is when the truck has been parked and i go to start it i have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running, i dont have to pump the gas or floor it, just enough to keep it at an idle. After i get in and take it down the road itll idle by itself but only @ 500rpm or less, which causes my battery charge to drop headlights dim, etc... does this sound formiliar to anybody? if so please enlighten me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a stock 95 explorer with id say about 250,000 miles on it. my problem is when the truck has been parked and i go to start it i have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running, i dont have to pump the gas or floor it, just enough to keep it at an idle. After i get in and take it down the road itll idle by itself but only @ 500rpm or less, which causes my battery charge to drop headlights dim, etc... does this sound formiliar to anybody? if so please enlighten me.

sounds like another case of intake gaskets to me.

any chance somebody thats changed the intake gaskets on one of these could lend a few pointers cuz i checked it out and it looks like its a payne to get to

IAC valve, MAF sensor then gaskets

Just to let you know the terms SOHC and DOHC apply to the number of overhead camshafts per cylinder bank. Your 4.0L engine has one overhead camshaft per cylinder bank so it is referred to as an SOHC engine.

I suggest that first you clean and or replace the IAC valve. Leaking intake manifold gaskets usually result in an idle speed flair at cold start and possibly lean diagnostic trouble codes.

Then I would clean the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner. A dirty MAF sensor results in a rich mixture at idle and a lean mixture at moderate engine speeds.

After the above I would consider replacing the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. Click on My Helpful Threads in my signature and then click on the link Starting My 00M12 Installation. Just ignore the parts about the timing chain tensioner and the oil restrictor.

Unless this truck had an engine replacement this model has an OHV 4.0...

Which the 00M12 would be useless to this vehicle as it applies to the SOHC 4 liter...

Replacing the intake gaskets is really not as bad as it seems.. There is a fair amount of parts removal to get to the gaskets and this would be a great time to perform some of the basic maintenance that gets neglected...

Remove the IAC and clean or replace it, change the oil and filter, flush the cooling system and replace the thermostat, take a good hard look at the spark plugs and wires and replace if needed, look for damage to the serpentine drive belt and replace if needed, and replace the air filter...

Now I am reading that this engine requires you to open the throttle a bit to start and stay running and that the idle is 500 rpm or less.. Is that correct? If so, I would find the IAC located on the drivers side of the intake and disconnect it with the engine running...If there is no change in speed, that unit is either stuck closed or just not working...Examination, cleaning and/or replacement would be my first step in fixing this...

Leaking intake gaskets do cause hard starts and erratic running but I don't remember ever hearing a leaking intake gasket causing low engine rpm.. Usually the engine runs rough and the idle revs are over 1500 rpm...

Original poster said he has a '95. The SOHC didn't enter the equation until '97. Assuming the year is correct, his 4.0 is OHV of course.

apologies for the MISUNDERSTANDING, im not formiliar with ford motors at all i just recently started drivin the truck again and have never had to do anything except put a battery in it so when i said DOHC i was simply going by what i was told but evidently i was told wrong. will check it out thanks for the help

Does anyone have pictures on how to take the upper and lower manifold gaskets off a 99 Ford Explorer? Thanks

Back