95 Ford Explorer LIMTED 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Ford Explorer LIMTED 4.0

N2bnfunn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer
Hello I have a Ford Explorer 1995 Limited with 4.0 EFI when I went to change out my ICM module it does not have one, it must be built in the PCM which my PCM has a difference number ending in ARB.

What question is what are these replys that are where the ICM is located at besided the battery and above the anit lock brake system? I wanted to post the photo but I am not seeing attachment on here

Thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By ICM, are you meaning ignition control module? If so, I don't think you have one. My 96 4.0 OHV has a coil pack controlled by the Engine Computer. I could be wrong about this. I am not totally familiar about these newer vehicles unless I have had to fix something myself, and I have not had to do any ignition work except to replace the spark plugs.

Hello I have a Ford Explorer 1995 Limited with 4.0 EFI when I went to change out my ICM module it does not have one, it must be built in the PCM which my PCM has a difference number ending in ARB.

What question is what are these replys that are where the ICM is located at besided the battery and above the anit lock brake system? I wanted to post the photo but I am not seeing attachment on here

Thanks for any help

On a '95 it should be by the battery on the rad support. Its very well hidden in there, look a little harder.

Agreed, it should look like this:

Fff10122.jpg

NOpe there is NOT one there I like I said I have a difference PCM there all the other explorer here is my PCM number F5TF-12A650-ARB the ICM should be after you take the battery out to the right above the anit lock brakes above that module with heck screws hold it up correct? my box above the anitlock brake module has the heck screws bolted to it but when you open it has NOT ICM module in it, it has replays NOT THE POWER CONTROL BOX the limited 95 has a difference PCM then all the other explorers.

Oh by the way the picture with the ICM that is what I bought to put in and I do not see one on mine.

NOpe there is NOT one there I like I said I have a difference PCM there all the other explorer here is my PCM number F5TF-12A650-ARB the ICM should be after you take the battery out to the right above the anit lock brakes above that module with heck screws hold it up correct? my box above the anitlock brake module has the heck screws bolted to it but when you open it has NOT ICM module in it, it has replays NOT THE POWER CONTROL BOX the limited 95 has a difference PCM then all the other explorers.

Oh by the way the picture with the ICM that is what I bought to put in and I do not see one on mine.

from what i can understand, you are talking about the slot in the driver side shotgun support directly behind the battery. What we are saying it is closer to the driver side headlight

95icm.jpg

The Limited may have a different PCM program, but it has the same ICM. At least the '95 EVTM from Ford says so.

I think he is referring to the fact that 95 explorers have a unique pcm/electrical system, which is true, since it is.a 60-pin obd-2 system that is a hybrid of obd-1 and obd-2. But the above diagram shows where the icm is located in a 95. And the computer code shouldnt be any different in a limited then say an xlt with same mechanical driveline.

I think he is referring to the fact that 95 explorers have a unique pcm/electrical system, which is true, since it is.a 60-pin obd-2 system that is a hybrid of obd-1 and obd-2. But the above diagram shows where the icm is located in a 95. And the computer code shouldnt be any different in a limited then say an xlt with same mechanical driveline.

Oh, I know. I've become very familiar the electrical system on my '95. I'm running a SOHC off the '95 OHV computer and a modified harness.

No it is not there this is what I have taken in, if you open the door and check the date when the truck was builted anytime after 8 month the truck is consider the next year, which will be a 96,the 96 built has the ICM into the PCM therefore the LIMITED ONLY one to have a different PCM they are the only explorer with the ARB there is NOT ICM no where on that truck I have pull out the battery looked in the front of it the side of it and everywhere around it, the only two black boxes you see when you remove the battery is the anti lock brakes module, and another module above that that has TWO relays that is it.

Ok, first tell us what the original problem is. Second, look at the 10th digit of the VIN and that is your year. So are you saying you have a 95 or 96? As far as posting pictures there is a button that says Manage Attachments. Use that to upload photos.

Ok, quick search looks like your computer program code is a 95. So regardless if your truck is limited, xlt, Eddie bauer, or xl, it will have that PCM. (there are variations in program codes, sometimes happening monthly as ford revised the software during assembly). But all 95's have an icm. So by your above scenario, either yours is missing (i.e. The plug is there, but.no icm), or its the wrong year (with different PCM installed, although 95 PCM's are only physically able to work in 95 trucks)

This is where it should be. I just so happen to have a '95 with an ARC computer, which is a newer update then yours.

DSCF1810.jpg

DSCF1809-1.jpg

Ok I will look again Well you are right I was able to find and replace it. BUT that was not the problem

Well, what is the original problem?

I have a 95 Explorer 4.0 EFI engine my problem hard to start after sitting in the sun when it is very hot or when the humidity is high. (not after the engine been running hot) The sun..

This is what I have replaced all the replays in the Power Control Panel PCM, ICM, Engine Temp Sensor TCS, Fuel Pressure Regulate

When it does that I can hear the fuel pump working it take like 3-5 seconds to cut off. Sometimes I can just wait for like 15 mins and then it will started other times I have waited 12 hours before it will start, once it starts it keeps starting for the rest of that day unless I leave it in the sun for over a couple of hours.

Back