95 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 Engine Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 Engine Replacement

mxr662

Reaction score
City, State
Rocklin, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Ranger-explorer gone
My son has a 95 Explorer Sport 2wd which he lost a freeze plug on and overheated. From my research so far the engine probably needs replaced. It is missing pretty good with pressure blowing from the coolant overflow tank. Not completely sure how hot he got it.

What model year 4.0 engines will fit with out too much modification?
Does the AC have to be discharged on a 95 to swap the engine? (the chilton says so)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have a 4.0 OHV engine. You should be able to make most any of those from the Explorer work for you. You will basically be using the long block unless you happen to get one that is indentical to your application .Depending on the year, you will have to swap accessories and sensors to match your EEC-IV computer system. I would try and stay with 95 and later engines I believe they have the better cylinder head.

I posted this before. Good info just for comparison if you need to outsource your engine replacement. :)

I just had my engine replaced after only 87K miles because of the infamous timing chain problem. This is what the invoice shows:

$2350 A remanufactured Engine
$35 oil change and coolant change
$33 spark plugs
$67 serp tensioner (mine broke and started squeeling)
$43 serp belt
$1734 labor

plus tax it came out to $4587.00

I helped a friend of mine with a 95 4.0L OHV
He overheated his engine and it needed to be replaced
I used a 97 Ranger engine to fix his 95 truck

You can use a 95-2001 OHV 4.0L in your 95 truck, you just have a few things to look out for, you will want to use the 95 intakes, sensors, wiring, etc no matter what year your new engine came from
The 95 is EEC-IV (OBD-I) but also a Gen II truck, 95 also has some re-designed heads that are made to be stronger then the previous years (still dont like being overheated) so I would suggest you stick with 95-2001 OHV 4.0L and try to find one with the same kind of transmission you have (auto or stick) because you will have to convert the back of the engine to fit your trans and if you use a 97+ for this they have an 8 bolt crank, not 5 bolts like your 95. So lets say your 95 is an automatic, yet you find a 98 Ranger engine that cmae from a 5 speed.... you will have to buy a 8 bolt flexplate, spacer and bolts to fit on the back of your new 98 engine so it bolts to your 95 auto trans... these parts are about $80
the 95 also has its own cam position sensor, its a different unit then earlier or later years, so it only fits the 95 block... so if you use a 98 block you will have some VERY simple wiring to do. I covered all this in the 95 overheated thread below...

I charged him $500 total plus $400 for parts...
but I do this alot for friends

95 truck overheated thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151705

my son in laws 97 we got a smokin deal on and replaced the engine with a 96 Ranger unit:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194149

Hope that helps!

Thanks guys. This is the info I was looking for.

I posted this before. Good info just for comparison if you need to outsource your engine replacement. :)

I just had my engine replaced after only 87K miles because of the infamous timing chain problem. This is what the invoice shows:

$2350 A remanufactured Engine
$35 oil change and coolant change
$33 spark plugs
$67 serp tensioner (mine broke and started squeeling)
$43 serp belt
$1734 labor

plus tax it came out to $4587.00

This sounds like a SOHC, not an OHV

Back