95 ford explorer transfer case issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 ford explorer transfer case issue

Joseph Vogel

Reaction score
City, State
Macomb
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ford explorer
1995 ford explorer that I bought last year and the guy says during a ice storm he was driving in 4x4 he did not say if it was low or hi but he said it made a noise and it seems its stuck in 4x4 now. I have no blinking lights and if I turn the switch there is no change if any body has an idea it would help hopefully its the shift motor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't know where you're located, but the shift motor could be seized from lack of use; especially, if you live in the Rust Belt. Start there...and hopefully, you'll get lucky and not have any internal transfer case issues. Check that fluid, too.

I live in macomb il
So yes is known for rust around here

If 4x4 has issues you should see blinking lights, because it has to read the speed and shift motor position sensors. I would suspect fuses, or the GEM module. You also have a vacuum disconnect on your right front axle. Do you get any lights when you switch to 4x4? Unfortunately, I don't know if your 95 has any diagnostics. 96 and up has full GEM diagnostics with FORSCAN.

You might get it to engage back into 2wd by tapping on the shift motor with a wrench. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

If that doesn't work, you can remove the shift motor and manually turn it back to 2wd with some pliers.

That will at least get you back to 2wd. If it turns out to be the shift motor there's a detailed how-to rebuild thread in the transfer case section.

If 4x4 has issues you should see blinking lights, because it has to read the speed and shift motor position sensors.

That certainly wasn't the case when my transfer case decided to take a dump.

Back