95 OHV K&N Filter Swap to 97 SOHC.. is it possible? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 OHV K&N Filter Swap to 97 SOHC.. is it possible?

ThatExplorerDude

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995&1997 explorer xlt
So I have a K&N air filter and Intake on my 1995 ford explorer. However I was wondering if it was possible to put that Intake in My 1997 explorer. I am currently stripping the 95 back to stock and was wondering if anyone had rigged the Older K&N intake to fit on the 1997 to save me some money so I dont have to buy it for my 1997..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would it even bring about a performance boost in the newer SOHC engine?

bump

On here the only noticeable difference is the hose shape.. However I know for a fact that the MAF sensor on there has a different connection from the OHV to the SOHC... is there any way to modify the OHV MAF connection to work with the 1997?

Not worth the trouble in my opinion. Besides, K&N air filters tend to foul the MAF sensor with oil. As far as making it fit, what is the difference between the 2 filters now? square vs cone shaped? Seems to me the biggest obstacle is the size/shape of the filter box. All of my Explorers/Mountaineers (97-01) use the same square filter.

Not worth the trouble in my opinion. Besides, K&N air filters tend to foul the MAF sensor with oil. As far as making it fit, what is the difference between the 2 filters now? square vs cone shaped? Seems to me the biggest obstacle is the size/shape of the filter box. All of my Explorers/Mountaineers (97-01) use the same square filter.

one is stock (SOHC) the other has the K&N in it... the 2 differences I notice is one the pipe is too long on the 95 OHV setup.. The other thing that is difference is the MAF sensor...

Sell the OHV one. For some reason I see tons of these for the SOHC for sale online like Craigslist, but never OHV ones.

Sell the OHV one. For some reason I see tons of these for the SOHC for sale online like Craigslist, but never OHV ones.

Good to note.. What's a good price for that do you think?

Whatever someone's willing to pay. Lol.

I see them on sale from $50 - $350, depends on your region.

Whatever someone's willing to pay. Lol.

I see them on sale from $50 - $350, depends on your region.

Noice.. would pay for my springs and shocks :)

Back