95 ranger 2.3 motor knock, valve hissing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 ranger 2.3 motor knock, valve hissing

Woody19025

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford ranger
I bought my Ranger recently (three weeks ago) and it was running pretty well. It seemed sluggish but thought it was normal for the 2.3. For the first two weeks it ran the same as when I bought it, but it developed a little bit of a knock at higher loads. My buddy said it was something unimportant under the dash (heater something) so I kept it out of the higher loads as much as possible and didn't worry about it.
At the end of the third week, it went from almost no knock to a really loud knock as soon as you touched the gas. Took back roads home keeping load as low as possible, parked it, and started trying to figure out where it's coming from. Following the sound, decided to pull the valve cover. The intake valve on the fourth cylinder is making a hissing sound when it's pressed by the cam, like it's not sealing. I read something about a valve inside the intake manifold coming loose and rattling, but the video liked like an early 2000's ranger. Could that be it? Anyone else had similar issues?

Back