95 Ranger 4.0 SOHC Engine swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Ranger 4.0 SOHC Engine swap

95splash16

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Ford Ranger
Hey im new to this forum, and new to working on Fords engine swaps.

I currently have a 95 Ranger 4.0 with Sohc engine on it & an auto transmission.
I bought the truck with several issues on it but the price was fair.

When i purchased the truck it had a lower knock noise and it was consuming coolant. I always checked the engine oil an the coolant never seemed to mix with it. An there was no leak anywhere, the truck still had alot of power on it.

I recently came upon a deal on a engine off a 99 ranger 4.0 sohc for only 450 removed and running. So i obviously bought it with the idea of replacing mine. I have came up with a few issues the most complicated one is the camshaft synchronizer. My idea was removing all sensors off the 95 and putting them on the 99. Since everything was almost identical. When i was removing the engine out of the 95 the synchronizer connector hit the firewall an broke off.

I starting looking for a new one and there between 180-280$, so im going to a local boneyard to get one. My question is when i install the new synchronizer do i need a special tool?

Before i get chewed up.... I did search and from what i understood is that 96 and up have a camshaft that can be replaced and removed from the synchro. But the 95 and older come as a one piece. So my idea was placing cyl 1 at TDC and then sliding the whole synchro in.
But i am confuse and unsure if it will work the way im planning on installing it, since the engine came off a 99 i dnt know if timing or other things can be affected.

Right now i am open to all comments and ideas....

One more thing, the 99 engine has no egr valve and the plenum has no connection for it and my 95 did have one. I was planning on using the plenum off the 99 and deleting the egr system. Since here in IL 95 and older dnt required smog.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So i did more research and i read a post that explained the 96 and up synchronizer is longer then the 95 one. So if i was to use the 95 synchronizer on the 99 motor it will not work. But there is a way of using the 99 synchro on 95 pcm the plug just has to be rewired.

Has anyone else done this swap on rangers or explorers? Using a newer 4.0 sohc engine on a older model?

FYI The SOHC (single overhead cam, 1 cam in each cyl head) 4.0 was not used in a Ranger until 2001, if the engine came out of a 99 it should be the OHV (overhead valve, cam in the center of the engine block) 4.0.

I was not aware of that, but side to side both engines look identical. The only difference is that the new engine doesnt have an egr system on it and it seems like it came like that from factory. The top of the plenum says 4.0 sohc on it.

The guy that sold me the engine might have been wrong and it could have been a 01 and not 99. I bought the engine off a guy in a shop, the owner of the ranger didnt pay for the work and the truck had been sitting there for a while.

The truck was a 4x4 step side and looked lifted.

01 & newer Rangers had the 4.0 SOHC engine.

I will take some pictures later on and post them up.
How can i post the pics in the thread?

Look in the new member section, there's a couple stickied threads about posting pics at the top of that section.

I will take some pictures later on and post them up.
How can i post the pics in the thread?

I have a photobucket account & post my pictures there, then copy & paste them here when making a post.

Well i took another look at the engine it only says 4.0 efi i believe on the plenum.
I believe its its the dohc with low emissions because it has no egr system in it.

I am going to still install the engine and use most of the same sensors off the 95 except the camshaft synchronizer.

If it looks like this it is the 4.0 OHV engine.

100_0977_zpsk0qjy0mw.jpg

Yea it looks exactly like that.... Well i learned some new thanks Mike65. Both engines looks exactly the same tho, like i said i am not that familiar with fords.
I actually have another question now..... Eventho there both 4.0 will the 4.0 dohc engine off the 99 fit my 95 4.0 sohc transmission?

Back