'95 Ranger "one touch down" window problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'95 Ranger "one touch down" window problems

agtxr7

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ranger Splash
Hope someone has had my problem before and has a fix. '95 Ranger Splash extended cab, 4.0 V6/5 speed, 150+K mileage. Drivers window motor and regulator replaced by Ford dealer sometime in the past, and again recently, by a commercial shop with poor and sloppy skills. All works well except that the window goes down and the window motor keeps running until the "up" window button is pressed. Have already replaced the "one touch down" relay under the dash with no results at all. Window switch is good. Both new regulator (Dorman) and window motor (unknown mfr) are NAPA store items. I have removed the door panel and the motor and regulator. Regulator has a small burr where the motor gear keeps running once the window is down, but otherwise both appear all ok. Reassembly and greasing slightly improved operation but did not alleviate the run-on condition. I cannot find any evidence of any kind of limit switch in either the door/window assembly or the factory shop manual; I believe that the window turns off in the "one touch down" mode by increased current draw sensed through either the GEM or "OTD" relay. The factory shop manual lists a procedure to turn off the "OTD" function by a combination of manipulations of the ignition key and the window switch, but this does not work for me. A wild card: my ignition switch is certainly worn out and may be at least some of the problem. Any help anyone can provide will be welcomed!

Back