95 Sport, No brake lights, Switch ok, Need diagram ! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Sport, No brake lights, Switch ok, Need diagram !

chevyh8ter

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 ford explorer
Hey guys, or gals ?
Anyway, I just bought a 95 Explorer Sport, today. I drove it home and noticed the brake lights were not working.
I've already pulled fuse and the pedal switch and put a jumper wire in the connector, still nothing. When I say nothing, all 3 brake lights are not coming on. When the headlight switch is on, I get the rear lights then, but no "Brake Lights". The hazard and turn signals are working and it does not have the center console message center like some other Explorers. I'd like to find a diagram if anyone can help. Thanks for any help !

I think I found a way to check the fluorescent bulb without any fancy equipment.
The catch is, you have to remove the bulb from the housing lense. There maybe a different way to do this, I don't know.
Anyway, once I had my bulb out to do the LED conversion, I held the bulb sideways with one hand on the left and one hand on the right of the fluorescent bulb. In a dark room of the house, I rubbed the bulb from the inside outwards simultanously to create a static charge. After several strokes (ha,ha) I noticed little lightening bolts spark across the bulb , no joke. Now I know for sure its the ballast and not the bulb :)
EDIT: Now that I'm thinking about it, I guess a old cathode ray television could create enough static to light the bulb if held close to the tv set. I'm guessing here, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Anyone know of a good static source to conduct such test if so ?
2nd EDIT: Whoa, it worked ! I placed the bulb on top of my old tv, then turned the tv off. When I turned the tv off a static charge rushed into the bulb and made it flash. Ha, I'm a genius...lol The trick is to keep the wires on the screen side of the television, because thats where the static appears. I tried it with the wires pushed towards the back of the tv and it did not work. Its a very dim flash, so make the screen black by turning the brightness and contrast down. Then stand directly over the bulb, paying close attention. In my case I have the bulb out, so I can see it really good. Its a low brightness orange flash similar to a car cigarette lighter glow.

So, you're not missing out with no center console message center n this case. Sometimes, the message center was the wiring issue. I finally bypassed mine.

If the Sport harness is similar to the 4-door harness, there is a connector behind the left rear brake light that if it doesn't get a good connection will kill the brake lights and turn signals. Check any trailer connections as well. Both have given me issues. Hope that helps!

Thanks, but yeah I read that same thing on the internet. Something about useing a jumper wire to bypass something or another. I've since got my issues worked out. Let me tell you what I found. This is a first for me, but just by looking at the bulbs you can't always tell that they're burnt out. The little spring looking conductor that attached to both poles was fully intact on both of my bulbs, and they weren't smoked (black), completely crystal clear ! I just decided to replace the bulbs for the hell of it anyway and turns out, it worked. Go figure :dunno:.I guess I should have used my multimeter from the start. Don't tell any body :shifty:

Back