95 to 01 long travel front suspension (for independent front suspension) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 to 01 long travel front suspension (for independent front suspension)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I can't figure out what is better to go SAS or one of these conversions. Seems like SAS would be cheaper. Any insight from anyone would be interesting.

I've been pondering the same question myself. I never saw the dixon bros kits but it looks awesome. If money wasn't an option id go with that. But considering my truck and my budget I couldn't justify it when you could do an sas for a few hundred if you do the fab yourself. I personally Feel like ifs can be much better offroad and on pavement than a steering box and solid axle setup. My only concern with the ifs is the rack getting wacked out while hard offroading. And with the d bros kit you would have to solve the issue of a wider rear axle.

Dixons is known on here and has been talked about. But for the money they want, and the shaft angles it produces after install, and the wider stance it gives also, the cost to do a SAS full width axles would do the same and drive anfles to be worried about and much cheaper to do (leaf spring conversion). Those kits are more in line of race applications and the dunes and what not. Not a very streetable application in my opinion.

Comparing a "long travel"(LT) kit and an "SAS" is kind of like comparing apples to oranges. Sure the LT can be used for rock crawling but it really was originally designed for the desert (high speed stuff) where as solid axles are often swapped into vehicles for slow, crawling stuff. Can a solid axled vehicle be used for the desert? Yes, its been done many times before (see dezertrangers.com etc..) but the high unsprung weight ratio of a solid axle really is a disadvantage at high speeds (not to mention the bump steer issue of most implementation of a solid axle setup).

That is what I was saying, those applications are for performance minded individuals that are going to hit the dunes and the similar. But for street and mud and rock, a SAS is the way to go. Street manners are excellent, and the capabilities are high. Ad the cost (if you know what you are doing and know what to look for) can be way less expensive and with great results.

A long travel IFS kit would be no worse than a home-built SAS on the street. It would probably be more streetable actually, considering you are using the stock suspension mounts. Don't choose between long travel or SAS based on price or ease of installation, because they are meant for totally different types of terrain. Make the choice based on what you want to do with your truck.

Back