• Register Today It's free!

95 xlt motor swap question

mad hatter

Reaction score
City, State
Twin Falls, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Like the title says, i'm swapping the motor out on my 95 xlt. It's the 4.0 automatic 4x4. I bought a motor out of a junk yard. The donor motor came out of a 96 ranger, but its the same exact motor (just less miles, been rebuilt by a ford certified shop, and has a good oil pump and main bearing, something the original in mine lacks as of now :) ). We cant get the motor to seat back into the tranny. The bolts on the torque converter are lined up with the flywheel and actually push into it, and the pins on the block are lined up in thier proper places with the tranny but we can't seem to get it to slip back into the tranny. We've shook it ever which way and even turned the motor over by hand to see if it would go. Anybody have any experience with this issue or know what could be causing it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm wondering if perhaps the ranger wasn't a 4x4 and that's why? somethings got to be different down there. do you have your old engine to compare it to?

we still have the old engine. it all looks the same. the flywheels are the same. However i am considering swapping them to see if it makes a difference.

Make sure your torque converter is fully seated into the trans pump.

They have a nasty habit of pulling out a little when you pull the motor.Seem to get the studs hung on the flywheel.

try putting a jack under the tranny.. it could be binding. thats how i had to get mine in.

we have a jack under the tranny. its all lined up and everything but just wont go. it very well may be that the torque converter did pull out a little. i'll have to check that. thanks for help guys this is getting really frustrating. i can't stand not having my explorer.

Make sure your torque converter is fully seated into the trans pump.

They have a nasty habit of pulling out a little when you pull the motor.Seem to get the studs hung on the flywheel.

.....this i have had done when i change'd out to another transmission as well.....:eek:........found out that i just turn'd the torque-converter by hand a few turn's at the same time pressing IN toward's the trans, and "Pop", the torque converter just went down another 1" or so, fully seat'd into the tran's - pump & into the bell housing...........then the tran's was able to go butt up against the engine block, fully seat'd together:thumbsup:...........just want to point this out from my experience of having.........

mr. Charles:D

it was the torque converter. thanks guys.

Back