• Register Today It's free!

95 XLT running rough

aelli614

Reaction score
City, State
houston texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 ford explorer
So I noticed on my way to work today the Explorer was running real rough. At idle RPMs were dropping to almost 500. Also seem to be loping and hestating any where below 2000rpms.

The plugs and wires have about 30k on them. Fuel pump and filter are new.

Once I get home I can clean the MAF. Is there anything else I should check?

I've been thinking about changing the IAC for some time.

BTW I have about 175k miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I noticed on my way to work today the Explorer was running real rough. At idle RPMs were dropping to almost 500. Also seem to be loping and hestating any where below 2000rpms.

The plugs and wires have about 30k on them. Fuel pump and filter are new.

Once I get home I can clean the MAF. Is there anything else I should check?

I've been thinking about changing the IAC for some time.

BTW I have about 175k miles.

what kind of plugs did you put in 30k ago? if std copper, they're probably toast. i'd pull them and while they're out do a compression test. if the cylinders have good compression, and are w/in 10% of each other, you know the engine is healthy. as longs as it's healthy, you problem could be you need a tuneup or maybe a few relatively inexpensive parts. i'd also, run a bottle of Chevron Techron injector cleaner through it.

honestly cant remeber what plugs I used Id have to pull one to look. Prob the lowest recommend kind. But deff something to look into cuz my millage is crappier than usual.

Change plugs and wires walla fixed wires are probably crispy and stiff.

Mine idles rough too. Checked everything.

Just had an idea that the injectors may be dirty since I haven't run cleaner through them in a while. Going to try that tonight.
I'll tell you how it goes.

oddly enough ran fan leaving working and this morning.. feel dead twice tis morning however.

Back