95 xlt were is front diff fill plug? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 xlt were is front diff fill plug?

corey G

Reaction score
City, State
highland, mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt
had to change starter and wow what a pain in the you know what. but now since I had to take the yoke out of the front diff some gear oil did come out not much prolly couple onces. Were is the fill plug located for the front diff?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know it is in a very hard to find place. I had to use a tube on a bottle to fill it.

I do the starter with the shaft on. Small hands and small 1/4" ratchets.

How did you get the yoke off? Those torx screws won't budge.

I know it is in a very hard to find place. I had to use a tube on a bottle to fill it.

I do the starter with the shaft on. Small hands and small 1/4" ratchets.

How did you get the yoke off? Those torx screws won't budge.

T30 torx were not hard at all to come off the 29mm nut that attaches the yoke is the hard spot but my electric torque wrench got it off after couple tries. Use a liberal amount of PV blaster. Any idea were the fill plug is located

The fill plug is on the side of the cast iron housing. IIRC it's on the driver's side and you access it more easily with the tire off. I use an transfer pump to fill it.

Yes, the fill plug is on the driver's side of the housing, and not a lot of fun to reach.

Those torx screws, if they haven't been out before, have red threadlocker on them. You need to heat them and they will come out pretty easily. Without the heat you will just strip the heads.

Why would you pull the diff yoke to change the starter?

Back