95exploderboy's Full Width SAS | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95exploderboy's Full Width SAS

Well I've been collecting ideas and parts for a long time now and its about time I started posting something. First off I'm gonna say that this might take a while because of the frequency that I go away for work, but I will make sure to keep everyone posted as I make progress. I have nearly all of the major parts bought and sitting in the shop, so now all I need is the time to put my SAS "kit" together.

What I have planned...

The Front
1979 F150 HP Dana 44
4.88 Yukon Gears
Aussie Locker
All new Timken bearings
Warn Premium Hubs
Stock Shafts for now
Wild Horses 5.5 springs
Stock radius arms with stone crusher extensions and heim joints
Chevy TREs with 1.5" Dom
Toyota Steering box
Square driveshaft

The Rear
1978 Ford 9"
4.86 Richmond Gears
Detroit locker
Disk Conversion
4 door hybrid leaf springs

The plan is to use the 79 upper coil buckets, not sure how I'm compensating for the full width yet. Gonna try to space the bottom coil mounts in enough to keep the springs straight. The arms will be located via a new transmission cross member/RA mount. The arms measure around 40 inches that puts them right under the transfer case. The rear will be SOA, shackles will be adjusted to level everything out. Still not sure of what will happen to the body lift, I'll see how I feel about it after I wheel it a few times.

Random pics...

Something is missing
DSCN0088.JPG

Sweet extended jack stands. They are good for about 30 inches and have a broad stable base
DSCN0093.JPG

What I ended up with:

The Front
1979 F150 HP Dana 44
4.88 Yukon Gears
Aussie Locker
All new Timken bearings
Drive Slugs
Alloy USA inner/outer axle shafts with Spicer 760 joints
Wild Horses 5.5 springs
Stock radius arms with stone crusher extensions and heim joints
Chevy TREs with 1.5" Dom
Full Hydro with single sided ram
Square driveshaft

The Rear
1978 Ford 9"
4.86 Richmond Gears
Detroit locker
Disk Conversion
4 door hybrid leaf springs

Ta Da! :D:D

DSCN0885.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wanted to comment on the d44 lock outs. Any d44 that was driven by a np203 (full time) came from the factory with lock out slugs and those smooth hub covers. A word of caution these will fit in backwords and not fully enguage the axle splines. Good job:thumbsup:

I have been installing them with the flat part of the slug inwards. I keep the small part with the lip on the outside. I assume its there so that you can use a puller in it if you need to. The slug is splined the whole way through so I don't uderstand how you can say they won't fully engage the axle splines if installed incorrectly. Any thoughts?

Also, thanks for the replies on the shocks. I'll probably swap them around next weekend when I pull the body lift.

Edit: Ok I guess you mean spline engagement on the hub, not the axle shaft. Am I correct?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Got the Ex some new shoes this weekend, 38.5" Super Swamper SXs :D

DSCN0927.JPG

DSCN0928.JPG

They will get put on next weekend. These things are pretty beefy, so I don't think I'll have to worry about getting a hole in 2 different sidewalls again the next time I go out.

[sidenote]
sx's are suppoosed to have a weaker than average sidewall
[/sidenote]

Where did you pick those up, ive been lookin for 38.5's for a long time

For real??? Well whatever they are, they have got to do better than what I have now.

Interco Site, "The Super Swamper TSL/SX was designed for extremely tough off road conditions where sidewall strength and protection is needed to withstand the severe scuffing from running in ruts and snagging roots and rocks. This tire has a strong nylon or polyester bias ply body with dual belts under the tread and wrap-a-round lugs. The sidewall lugs not only protect the sidewall but also provide extra traction when climbing out of ruts."

Did they lie to me?? I'm not too worried, I think your just jealous.

I got them from a guy I found on Pirate. I was in western PA this weekend so I swung by and picked them up. Lots of meat left on them, no rock rash and an awesome price.

SX's have tougher than average sidewalls...SSR have weaker than average sidewalls

SX's have tougher than average sidewalls...SSR have weaker than average sidewalls

Sounds about right. The SSR has a 2 ply sidewall, but most of their other tires including the SX has a 4 or 6 ply sidewall.

I guess I mixed those up, too many tires to keep straight

So what, I had some clearance issues alright. :D

Sorry abought the late reply on the hubs. I cant remember right off which splines it was inner or outer I think outer to hubs. It has been probably 6 or 7 years at liest since I saw this. The hubs were put in backwords at a brake job and the guy ran it like thet untill the next hunting season, when he got stuck and realized the front wheels werent pulling. One of my co-workers was working on it at the time. He flipped the lockouts around and it went back to work. That was my expierience with it. These had the np-203 full time transfer case which is typicly concidered junk. The cool thing is the range box is seperate from the x-fer case and can be used for a np203/np205 doubler. If i can find one from a Ford mine may become np203/np203/np205 when I do my sas.:thumbsup: Can you say crawl ratio of 200:1:eek::confused:

I got my new tires on, trimmed my rear fenders and this happened..

DSCN0936.JPG

I was bouncing when it happened, so that along with my driveshaft being too long may have been my problem. I took another inch and a half out of it and then I went back out.

DSCN0938.JPG

DSCN0941.JPG

DSCN0942.JPG

DSCN0943.JPG

DSCN0947.JPG

DSCN0948.JPG

Decided I'm going down to a 1" BL when I get the time. Also need to figure out a new wheel backspacing that will work with the bead locks. I'm thinking 3 - 3.5. I keep forgetting to measure what I have right now so I'm not sure how much I need to change it. All I know is I don't get too far before I'm rubbing the RAs

Loving that stance 95exploderboyyyyyy -- BTW is that the hardcore left gangsta lean I see there?

DSCN0947.jpg

I believe it is, Mr. Senator!

Attachments

• lean to the left.jpg
    lean to the left.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 500

Back