95exploderboy's Full Width SAS | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95exploderboy's Full Width SAS

Well I've been collecting ideas and parts for a long time now and its about time I started posting something. First off I'm gonna say that this might take a while because of the frequency that I go away for work, but I will make sure to keep everyone posted as I make progress. I have nearly all of the major parts bought and sitting in the shop, so now all I need is the time to put my SAS "kit" together.

What I have planned...

The Front
1979 F150 HP Dana 44
4.88 Yukon Gears
Aussie Locker
All new Timken bearings
Warn Premium Hubs
Stock Shafts for now
Wild Horses 5.5 springs
Stock radius arms with stone crusher extensions and heim joints
Chevy TREs with 1.5" Dom
Toyota Steering box
Square driveshaft

The Rear
1978 Ford 9"
4.86 Richmond Gears
Detroit locker
Disk Conversion
4 door hybrid leaf springs

The plan is to use the 79 upper coil buckets, not sure how I'm compensating for the full width yet. Gonna try to space the bottom coil mounts in enough to keep the springs straight. The arms will be located via a new transmission cross member/RA mount. The arms measure around 40 inches that puts them right under the transfer case. The rear will be SOA, shackles will be adjusted to level everything out. Still not sure of what will happen to the body lift, I'll see how I feel about it after I wheel it a few times.

Random pics...

Something is missing
DSCN0088.JPG

Sweet extended jack stands. They are good for about 30 inches and have a broad stable base
DSCN0093.JPG

What I ended up with:

The Front
1979 F150 HP Dana 44
4.88 Yukon Gears
Aussie Locker
All new Timken bearings
Drive Slugs
Alloy USA inner/outer axle shafts with Spicer 760 joints
Wild Horses 5.5 springs
Stock radius arms with stone crusher extensions and heim joints
Chevy TREs with 1.5" Dom
Full Hydro with single sided ram
Square driveshaft

The Rear
1978 Ford 9"
4.86 Richmond Gears
Detroit locker
Disk Conversion
4 door hybrid leaf springs

Ta Da! :D:D

DSCN0885.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I'll be steppin' up my game soon.

I decided to take advantage of Ballistic's sale and grab some tabs and joints for the Balistic air shock swap I'm starting.

I'll be grabbing these in a couple weeks as well.

Ballistic Air Shocks
airshock.jpg

Some of the goodies I just ordered...

thumbnail.asp

Planning to use square tubing for the arms...

thumbnail.asp

Not sure when I'll start this. I may have enough time to finish it before Carlisle, but I don't know if I want to rush this. I'll have to think about it a little more....

What kind of setups are you all using for your Nitrogen charging?

On another note, I'll be selling my Wild Horse 5.5" springs, they have been used for about a year now. I'll also have a set of Grem's heavy duty lower coil mounts. Watch the classifieds for some deals :D

IWhat kind of setups are you all using for your Nitrogen charging?
I just slapped mine together -- kinda ghetto but I bought a 20 cu-ft cylinder (ebay), a nitrogen pressure regulator (ebay), and had a local hose shop make me a 3-ft hose.

Ooh ahh, shiny things! Guess you'll be the one parking on me this year instead of the other way around, so you can show off those air shocks ;) (If you're done by Carlisle, that is)

Spas, I could have parked on you last year if I wanted to.

I'm at a cross roads with starting this or not. I know I'll get upset when I'm wheeling 'cause the current setup isn't working they way I want it to. But I don't want to miss Carlisle either.

Help me decide. I have about a month to go. With 2, 3 day weekends to work on this and some other weekends if I need it. It can't be that hard since all the hard work was done before.

1. Remove old suspension
2. Fab the new radius arms
3. Attach arms to crossmember
4. Mock the air shocks in place
5. Bend a weld the new shock hoops in place
7. Mount shocks
8. Fabricate track bar mount and weld into place
9. Mount track bar
10. Wheel

Looks like its just 10 easy steps :D

IZ, Any chance I can get some pics of your nitrogen setup? Wanna let me rent it? I had looked at going the homemade route before, but got hung up on the regulator. How much pressure can yours handle.

If it was me id hold till after carlisle. whenever im on a deadline that tight it seems nothing comes together and when you rush is when **** always breaks. but thats just me.

all those fancy parts are gonna make it even more bad ass.... wich it was pretty bad ass to begin with...

oh before I forget again, me and adam (aking -ranger on 60/airshocks) and supposedly linds are going to RC the weekend of the 17th, if any of yall wanna come then lets go.

Thanks for the heads up. Its gonna be a busy weekend up there. The King of the Hammers 2010 qualifying race is there on the 15th.

I got some of the nitrogen tank parts off ebay today. Got a regulator, hose and ball valve. I'm going to be getting the no loss fill valve and the other fittings shortly.

Thanks for the heads up. Its gonna be a busy weekend up there. The King of the Hammers 2010 qualifying race is there on the 15th.

I got some of the nitrogen tank parts off ebay today. Got a regulator, hose and ball valve. I'm going to be getting the no loss fill valve and the other fittings shortly.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=572943&highlight=

Thats adams build, he's got a nice little nitrogen tank in the cab of his ranger.

Edit: Found it http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8074491&postcount=234

I started on the air shock build this weekend. Got the frame rails all cleaned up and ready for the new fab work. I also started on my new radius arms. I'd like to get away from RAs, but I'm not ready to build up my 60 yet.

Friday Morning

DSCN1163.JPG

DSCN1165.JPG

Cycled the old suspension for fun.

DSCN1166.JPG

DSCN1166.JPG

Sundy afternoon...

Rails and trans crossmember all cleaned up. Grinding 1/4" brackets or thicker all day was not fun.

DSCN1178.JPG

Started fabbing up the new arms. Will be using 2" X 2" tubing welded to the stock ends and Ballistic Fab 1.25" joints on the frame ends.

Old arms

DSCN1171.JPG

New ams in progress

DSCN1181.JPG

DSCN1182.JPG

I got a few of the parts together for my nitrogen tank and I'm piecing together the rest of the brackets and parts I need to finish this up.

I have a 4 day weekend over Memorial day, so I'll be fabbing till I drop in hopes of geting it done for Carlisle.

Also have some of my old parts up for sale.

i likethe arms. looks clean. are you going to put a bend in them at all?

I had thought about putting a bend in them to clear the tires. I had minimal rubbing with my old setup, it was just a hair from full lock when it started to rub. I still need to get wheels with less backspacing for a wider track width, but I may just put a little kink in these to be safe. My only worry is weakening the arm afterwards. Would it help to plate the bend on the top and bottom with 1/4" steal afterwards?

I'm also brainstorming on how to do my shock hoops. I'll be using 1 3/4" DOM, that I'll bend with my shiny new bender :D. I'm just trying to figure out the easiest way to brace them. I'm going to mount them on the side of the frame, but didn't know if I wanted to run a brace down to the top of the frame or if I should run it accross he engine bay to the other tower. I feel like space may be limited up top.

I think I'm leaning to the making a set similar to these from BTF. I feel it may just be quicker. If I see them start to fail, I can rebuild them with a crossmember above the engine.

Any thoughts on this?

Also need to get air shock oil, is the best place going to be online?

For a shock tower that tall, I think a brace going across would be better. Plus you can always tie it to your cage later on.

As for shock oil, I bought mine from:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/fox-...itemZ200033471454QQptZOtherQ5fVehicleQ5fParts

In case you dont already know, PolyPerformance keeps a chart of shock oil volume. Its a good baseline to start off from. For example, for the 2.5" air shock: http://polyperformance.com/shop/FOX-2.5-Air-Shocks-p-182.html. And I think they also sell shock oil on their website.

The way I fill up the shock with oil (and all pressure removed) is to remove the piston, put the body upside down, fill, and put the piston back. Another method that doesnt require removing the piston is to remove the brass fitting at the top (the one with the schrader valve) and use a syringe w/o a tip to inject slowly.

2 of these are now mine :D

2.0 16" Air Shocks

http://radflo.com/air.htm

I wanted the Ballistic shocks, but they couldn't ship the 16" ones right away and couldn't say when they would be done. In the interest of completing this by Carlisle, I got a great deal on the Radflo's. They have a higher weight capacity than Fox. I trust that they will work ok. If not, I'll sell um and order another set.

I'm getting pretty excited to get this thing together next weekend!

i would do a cross bar just for safety. its a lot of weight to just trust the shock towers.

I've had it with Ballistic and will not order from them again unless they get their customer service in order.

I ordered the joints and brackets last Sunday 5/3. I called last Tuesday to make sure everything was ok and to switch something that I had accidentally ordered the wrong size of.

They mentioned that just the Ballistic joints were back ordered, but they would be able to send them next Monday. After I didn't get a shipment notification on Monday, I called on Tuesday. I was told that the joints were finished, but that the tube adapters were now sold out. That confused me since they were in stock the week before. If they were there, they should have been kept with my order. I already paid, why fill orders placed after mine if I ordered first. On a side note, they said this didn't happen, but that there were other orders with mine that used up their stock. Shouldn't they take this into consideration before they say they can fill that part of my order?

Later that day my order ships becasue I asked them to ship what they had, including the joints because I didn't want them to get sold again. I called the next day to see if everything was in the order and they said it absolutly was. In the mean time I canceled my order from another supplier that sells the square tube adapters.

Forward to today when I recieve my order...

The joints and tube adapters are missing with a note that they are out of stock. I have an email stating that the joints are ready, but aperently they were not or they shipped them to someone else again.

I PMed their rep on Pirate and he will call me Monday morning. I don't understand whats going on out there, but its not that good. I'm ok with ordering parts if I know they are out of stock, and not in a hurry, but if I had no clue, and I am the one who has to call to find out what is going on, then it upsets me.

I found one of their dealers that has the joints, so I guess I'll call the other tube adapter supplier to order them if they cant fix this on Monday.

Sorry for the long rant....

Good to know- I was planning on ordering some parts from them for Blackjack's rebuild!

Sounds like what I went through with my shocks for the New Year's run.. they don't tell me they're out of stock until 4 weeks after I hit the 'buy-it-now" option and then dick me around for another 2 weeks afterward before I demanded my money back :fire: But at least they screwed up and sent me a pair of free Mx6's because they were so disorganized that they forgot to cancel the order with ProComp. Maybe you'll get free stuff :D

I do prefer Ruff Stuff, but in this case Ballistic had what I needed.

Their parts are def top notch, just call and check before you order something if you need it in a hurry.

We'll see what Monday brings.

Guess u didn't wheel this weekend, did Micah and Adam still go?

Adam went, I didnt because I had nothing to wheel in. Such is the life of a (now) web wheeler.

Ballistics stuff is pimp for sure, but their customer services does suck. The few times ive dealt with them it hasnt been the best. Ruffstuff is awesome, more plain less bling but prices reflect that and always had good experiences.

Adam went, I didnt because I had nothing to wheel in. Such is the life of a (now) web wheeler.

Ballistics stuff is pimp for sure, but their customer services does suck. The few times ive dealt with them it hasnt been the best. Ruffstuff is awesome, more plain less bling but prices reflect that and always had good experiences.

Sorry about that, Micah. If it had been Sunday like I originally thought, I could have made it :( Don't worry, I'll have room for ya at Carlisle!

Back