95tm heads

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
i want to change my heads out to the newer 95tm heads from Alabama heads but can i use all my upper parts like injectors, fuel rail and intake from my 92 motor?or do i need all upper parts from a 95?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 95 heads bolt right onto your block in place of your old heads. Everything will line-up, and work fine. You are just bumping the compression ratio, and getting a little more material in the area of the Exhaust Valve.

Ryan

so I can use my 92 stock intake

Unless there is another interpretation of
"The 95 heads bolt right onto your block in place of your old heads. Everything will line-up, and work fine."

Then YES. It will work.

Ryan

i understood that the head would bolt on and line up fine "as far as the head" i was referring to the intake and gaskets,so i take it that they will, would i use 92 head gaskets or 95 or is there a difference?

last time i looked at advance auto and auto zones head gaskets for a 92 and 94 i think they were the same ones sold in each store for same years ,so it's a safe bet that 95 are going to be the same ones as well . but like ryan said the only thing you will change is the compression a little.

as always it pays to look at the store your buying from and see if there are really any difference's between any one year model. like for example i think
91's use different pullies than a 94 does . or something to that effect.... i was helping someone with idler / tensioner issue and looked up the part for a 94 figureing that it's got to be the same fora 91'ish model but nope .....different .

sweet yea thats one of the 2 reason i want the new heads for the 10:1 and the new cast thats less prone to crackn

you all think its worth the money to put dual valve springs in or will the stock set up be fine for my 410 cam

Why are you going through the trouble of installing a new cam, and then waste it on a 410. You're bumping the compression, and your installing a better cam. The 422 cam is a MUCH better choice, and it doesn't cost a DIME more to do it at this point. Do you REALLY want to spend that kind of money, only to realize you COULD HAVE HAD MORE, for the SAME PRICE!

Ryan

Why are you going through the trouble of installing a new cam, and then waste it on a 410. You're bumping the compression, and your installing a better cam. The 422 cam is a MUCH better choice, and it doesn't cost a DIME more to do it at this point. Do you REALLY want to spend that kind of money, only to realize you COULD HAVE HAD MORE, for the SAME PRICE!

Ryan

You also have to have the valve pockets machined to fit the dual springs and have the valve guide trimmed down to clear the retainers. You don't HAVE to do that with the 410. Granted, if he plans on getting it machined to fit dual valves anway then yes 422 is the way to go. But with 410 you can save $$ on the machine work because it's not needed.
That and you'll need Double Compcam Springs & Crane Spring retainers which'll be another $200 or so.

That and passing emissions if you have them will be harder (if even possible :p) with the 422.

I allready have the 410 cam in the motor now I just rebuilt the motor then my old heads cracked so im replaceing them with the 95tms just thought I might want to have the daul springs put in so I shouldn't have any problems down the road I know the 410 doesn't call for them but it is right at the max for single springs

well then sell your 410 to me and just get the 422! haha

well then sell your 410 to me and just get the 422! haha
i don't want the 422 i just bought the 410 and have less than 75 miles on it and it want more power down low and the 422 is not recommended for auto trans from what i hear.i was going to have the head machined in the exhaust ports and bowl and a valve job done wile i had them off and didn't know if it would be worth it to have dual vale spring put in

where do the stock heads normally crack at?

I've had 90tm and 93tm heads crack...

The most common seems to be between the valves..

Next is the shoulder towards the back of the engine (rear or the head)..

One of our heads also had the typical (non explorer typical) crack between water jackets..

~Mark

i was getting steam out the oil fill tube so i would think it has to be in the jacket some where? i wouldnt get steam if it was cracked between the valves right?

That would be my guess too.. the last 2 cracked heads were cracked on the shoulder and one was between the valves..

Neither head caused steam.. We just got oily coolant... but never got any water in the oil (that we could see).

~Mark

i should be able to see the crack im guessing, ill have to check those places at least i have an idea now thanks

The crack between the valves I've always been able to see.. The crack on the shoulder we couldn't see until it was fluxed.. and even then it was hard to see.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you think its worth the money to have the exhaust and a valve job done on them"the new 95tm heads"?not going to run sc or anything

Back