96-00 Explorer 4WD v AWD V6/V8 question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96-00 Explorer 4WD v AWD V6/V8 question

BlownSkillet

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, Ga. (Atlanta)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
I need a front diff. for a 2000 Explorer 4.0 4WD. Will one from the AWD work and is the one from a V8 the same as the V6?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The front diff is the same regardless V6 or V8.

just make sure its the same gear ratio, i'd go ahead and pop the cover on the new one and change the oil and make sure its good to go while its out of the truck before installing it. check all the bearings, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

So the diff is also the same AWD or 4WD, correct? Just trying to make sure. I'm working on a 4.0 4WD for someone and they need another carrier; seems someone tried to tow it using a car dolly and the front wheels on the ground, causing something to shatter the case! I guess they don't like to be towed this way!

4wd AWD all the same.

Thanks so much for your help!

yeah he should have towed it rear on the ground and removed the drive shaft

It literally split the case open! What a mess! I haven't removed it yet and I hope it didn't tear anything else up.

just make sure its the same gear ratio, i'd go ahead and pop the cover on the new one and change the oil and make sure its good to go while its out of the truck before installing it. check all the bearings, etc.
And replace the axle seals. Cheap insurance and one heck of alot easier now.

It literally split the case open! What a mess! I haven't removed it yet and I hope it didn't tear anything else up.

If there was enough force to split the front differential, I would bet the farm there are going to be more issues than just the front diff.
Front driveshaft, transfercase, CV/axles, hubs, rear driveshaft, rear diff all took a hell of a beating as well.
Good Luck

And replace the axle seals. Cheap insurance and one heck of alot easier now.

If there was enough force to split the front differential, I would bet the farm there are going to be more issues than just the front diff.
Front driveshaft, transfercase, CV/axles, hubs, rear driveshaft, rear diff all took a hell of a beating as well.
Good Luck

No, believe it or not, everything else is fine. Not sure what really caused it.

Back