Swinson1974

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4.0 Explorer XLT
1996 Explorer, 2WD, 4.0, 240k

I've looked all over this site and found explanations from bearings, to caliper bolts, to CV joints, to warped rotors... even power steering fluid or loose lug nuts.

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this.

My 4th X... as I drive, I get a thump...thump....thump from the front wheels, possibly only passenger. I can feel it in the break pedal too. It comes quicker as I speed up, so assuming it has to do with the front tire spinning of course..

Truck has ABS, I have never messed with it except to change the pads. Fluid level has never moved ever.

I've replaced all the joints, shocks, brake pads, sway bushings... But I still have the thump. In the past I would just replace the bearings, and I probably will anyway. But, this is my first NON-4WD Explorer, so not as knowledgeable about the front end.

Anyone have an idea? Thanks :eek:):usa:

1) have front tires checked for separation-road load test.

2) Bad brake rotor (have the fronts turned, this will tell) or bad wheel bearings.

Will Do! thanks for quick response.

I just had a thought. While they have the weight off the front tires, see if they will check the wheel bearings. Grab the tire at 6 and 12 oclock and shake it. Then see how they feel when spun on the truck. ;)

Back