• Register Today It's free!

'96 4.0 Lifter Noise

wdgross06

Reaction score
City, State
Chesaning, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport
I have a 1996 Ford Explorer Sport and ever since I got it about a year ago it's been ticking. I presume that its the lifters and i'm positive its not an exhaust leak. It ticks especially in the winter and after oil changes. They are roller lifters and cost $50 a pop and it would cost almost $1400 to get it fixed with more than $600 in parts. I am currently using 10w-30, could switching to 10w-40 help or even solve my problem? What else could help? :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Second Gen motors are not really prone to lifter tick like the earlier models where, are you sure it's the lifters? Even if it is the lifters it's not a huge problem more of just an annoyance though you'll want to get it taken care of eventually. Try running a heavier weight oi and see if that doesn't make a difference, also check real good for exhaust leaks.

I have tried everthing and it is usually a lifter that is making the noise. You can buy a complete set on Ebay for around 100.00 shipped. I bought a set on there and they worked great. You will have to pull the heads to replace the lifters and I would change the rocker assemblys if there is any wear at all. Let me know if I can be of anymore help.

you should be using 5w30 oil. I pick up a 96 explorer about 2 years and when I first got it it had a tick to it. Turns out the owner before me baby the truck. I just gave her hell for about 2 weeks change the oil again runs some cleaner throught her to get rid of all the carbon built up. Lost the tick after that.

also 5w30 is thinner oil. 10w30 is thicker oil so when its cold it take alittle long to get top end of the engine. 10w40 is thicker would probably make things worst. I would try 5w30 and go from there first before dig into the engine. also 5w30 is what ford recommends

Back