96 4.0 more power

Andy96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Branchburg NJ, Bethlehem PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hey everyone,
I just started modding my explorer and it has always needed more power, but now with new rims and 31's I really need to do something. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I know an exhaust and intake will help, but if you could let me know which ones people are using and suggestions would be helpful. Also, the engine has just hit 166K miles, is it safe to do modifications? I know a whole lot about audio and wiring of cars, but im clueless when it comes to engines:confused: Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Leave the engine alone and get regeared. 4.10's should do it.

If you are serious about wanting more power, like more than it had before, go with a 5.0 swap. Otherwise, if you are just looking to restore the lost power, re-gearing will do the trick.

Leave the engine alone and get regeared. 4.10's should do it.

what does it take to regear? I have a little over basic knowledge i think but im nowhere near a mechanic :D.

thought it would be usefull to let you know that i have 3.55 stock. thanks

The best mod I have done to my 96 4.0 was a Hypertech Programmer. A nice eBay score for under $70.

Still not a hot rod, but alot more amusing to drive :thumbsup:

There are some little things that will help marginally. But don't expect gobs of power hidden away inside your 4.0. You didn't say if you had the SOHC or the OHV?

The first things to do on a high mileage engine would be the tune up type stuff.
Clean the upper intake with seafoam, and clean all the emiisions controls (EGR, PCV etc..) then think about getting a cold air intake and exhaust.

A good start would be to look at Aldive quest for 30 (follow the link in his signature) becuase many of the things that make the engine more efficient also make more power.

I would agree with everyone on the gears, 4.10's will make a huge difference with the low end torque. They will need to be professionally installed unless you know how to lash gears properly, which by your comments I would guess not.

Underdrive pulleys are said to deliver the most performance on the SOHC of all the bolt on type mods. Although I have not personally tried them yet.

Did you do anything to your exhaust yet?

If it's a 96 it's an OHV. Like said, the best response you will get is from re-gearing to 4.10 gears. Unfortunately, it needs to be done by someone with experience in setting up gears, and parts+labor is $1100-1300. This will re-gain your stock gearing setup (or better), and help reduce strain on your transmission and everything.
You can do a few tings to help with power, like programmers and underdrive pulleys, but they are all spendy, and it will still perform like crap with 3.55 gears. Any improvements would be small, and the problem with being "under-geared" will still be there. My wife's 97 Explorer has 3.73 gears with 31's, and it's a little bit of a dog now. It must be miserable with 3.55's trying to pass or go up hills.

If you wanted to try and save a few bucks, you could look for complete used axles with 4.10's or 3.73's already in them, and you could probably install them yourself with a friend. You could get some of that money back by selling your old axles.

Hey folks, the only way to regain power lost from a gear swap is to regear. You can do all the mods you want, but you are still at a loss of torque multiplication. As we all know, numbers get bigger quicker through multiplication than addition, so once the right gears are there, the mods will add up quickly.

Judging by the "96XLT", I'll call it a 4.0L OHV. If your stock tires were 235/75-15 with a hight of 28.9" to a set of 31's (most are 30.6") then:
30.6/28.9 = 1.06
1.06*3.55 = 3.76:1 the closest is 3.73:1
If you do any towing or off road, I would go straight to the 4.10's (Upgrade).
If you do mostly highway driving, go 3.73:1 (Correction).

hey guys thanks for the info. It is an OHV like stated above. As for the regearing, thats over half of what i bought the vehicle for, so im not sure about that. (I got the car about 4 months ago for $2100 with 143K and everything working, i thought a good deal) Im really just afraid of doing something to a car with so many miles on it, as i am a student and it does still need to be dependable to get me to school and working when im there. I have put exhausts and intakes on my other cars without problems and i know its a little power but not the greatest, but still better than nothing. I have never done anything with a tuner but would be willing as that is just plugging something in. Are they safe though? As for the hills and passing, yea it sucks, but honestly its not that much worse that with the stock tires, it just always sucked haha. If i was able to get an axle with the 3.73 or 4.10 in it how hard would it be to get it out of one car and into mine? There is a huge junkyard right by my school that has 20 or more explorers at any given time, so I think I would be able to get an axle relatively easily, i just gotta check the doors to see which ones have which. Also, does everyone use the kits like K&N for the air intakes or does anyone build there own? I built my own in my range rover and jeep and saved a lot of money. Thanks again guy!

If yours is a '96 as it says, you are OBDI and a tuner is not an option; you can use a chip, however, it will do very little for your application.

The best bang for the buck is underdrive pulley(s).

Good luck ....

thanks for the info about the obd port aldive... im not sure if i would be able to do the underdrive pulleys becuase im not sure if i have the skill to change them out. I also have just been looking at the whole regearing thing and although i would love to be able to upgrade to the 4.10's or even the 3.73's to get back to close to stock, i don't see it realistically happening. A total axle swap looks like hard work (and do you need to do both axles??) and the whole regearing myself as someone stated, does not seem possible since i don't know how to do it. I was looking on ebay and it looks like 4.10 gears with a new pinion is about $150 +/- each (again need 2??) depending on who you buy from, but i am guessing the labor is really extensive. Just out of curiousity, is there anyone around the central NJ/eastern PA area who knows how to do this who would be willing to help once spring and warmer temps come around? If so the dream becomes a little more in my grasp. Thanks again!

wrong

If yours is a '96 as it says, you are OBDI and a tuner is not an option; you can use a chip, however, it will do very little for your application.

The best bang for the buck is underdrive pulley(s).

Good luck ....

96 is ODB II and a chip will work with it..

can anybody post a link to exacly what one would need for the under drive pulleys for the 96' ? any other parts needed to do it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back