• Register Today It's free!

96 4.0 ohv flexplate

justanother1

Reaction score
City, State
Dover, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT; 97 XLT
Been searching for a knocking (only heard at idle - 1200rpm) and found the flexplate is loose on our 96 4.0L ohv. I found this by checking the to see if the torque converter nuts were loose through the starter hole. Should I replace the flexplate and the crank spacer? Would you buy these from Ford or the local parts store? I will definately be replacing the bolts. I have not pulled the tranny yet because I found this last night. I would like to have the parts before pulling the tranny.

i'd try to find a good used one and the spacer could probably be reused. lock tight the bolts

This job went from bad to worse. First the down pipe bolt broke, the I broke an exhaust manifold bolt on the passenger side and had 2 that I could not get out on the drivers side along with twisting the egr tube off. The flexplate was totally broke outside the bolts. There was a couple cracks that were running across to the outside. It would not have been too long before it left go. Bought a new Ford flexplate and re-used the original spacer. Been back together for 2 weeks with no issues. This was the cause of a vibration (the dash rattled at highway speeds) that we had for months.

Back