96 4.0 ohv x code no start, kinda. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 4.0 ohv x code no start, kinda.

Jimbodedious

Reaction score
City, State
Iron, Mt
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford EXP
Picked up a 96 Exp. OHV Have had and worked on many over the years.
Turns over fairly easy. no start condition. Pump operative, Did a slight Starting fluid spay to check if i wait between cranks and in WOT it will try to hit not well but tries. Cant remember how easy it should turn over when the timing set is broke, it does kinda sound like it. I looked but other posts not the same as my question.
Ideas? Keep in mind it's 20 below and it's outside at the moment. was hooked to a swingerline stand up charger. has a couple hundred though on it though it looks well taken care of.
So how many say timing set? Not doing compression testy until weather hit at least 10 above.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fwiw I have one dead cylinder in my 4.0 and it still starts up pretty easily. If you think you're timing chain is broken just throw a stethoscope over the valve springs and see if you can hear them operating.

Was thinking about that. Gonna get an engine compartment starter switch tomorrow. Can't find my old one. May have lent it out. To ask though. Does it roll over real easy? Ii've not had one ever drop a chain. My 99 SOHC i put on 100,000+ with a sticky chain tensioner. Never a missed start.
My 94 still running around town and has well over 200,000 miles and no issues to this day. But it does seem to smooth for my liking. :( My 88 aerostar also is still running around 300,000+ miles on it. Small town stuff... lol

Yeah mine turns over and starts easy, the one dead cylinder has no compression. I had an issue with the timing chain in my firebird and it made a hell of a racket but still started and ran, it was just so noisy I shut it down almost immediately. I haven't been inside the 4.0 but if it's a timing chain I seriously doubt it broke.

Start small check for spark, fuel and air

Waiting for it to come off -25 right now. Too cold to be outside unless the house is on fire. LOL

Waiting for it to come off -25 right now. Too cold to be outside unless the house is on fire. LOL
Layers, insulated boots, Kevlar gloves, and don't stop moving especially your hands. I'm forced to stay outside in similar weather for 8-12 hours on end so I'm used to it and those things help. Or stay inside and keep warm since you're not getting paid to fix it, it's only like 40 here and I won't go outside to replace my thermostat housing.

if it tries to fire w ether then I don't think timing set is broken since you are getting compression somewhere
Sounds like the pistons are moving and some valves are opening!
Just a thought

If it fires with ether it sounds like a fuel issue, 96 OHV should have like 34-42 psi fuel rail pressure otherwise you will get slow/lazy or no start since injectors cannot spray

How old is the gas in the tank? Cold gas doesn't vaporize very well. I remember when I was a car hauler, it sucked trying to load cars at -20. I couldn't get some cars to start and when I made it to warm weather they ran fine.

if it tries to fire w ether then I don't think timing set is broken since you are getting compression somewhere
Sounds like the pistons are moving and some valves are opening!
Just a thought

If it fires with ether it sounds like a fuel issue, 96 OHV should have like 34-42 psi fuel rail pressure otherwise you will get slow/lazy or no start since injectors cannot spray

i agree but if i remember correctly when you hold wot on start it actually cuts fuel, im not 100% if ford does this or not but if you try every time at full throttle it may just not be getting any fuel.

Thanks for all the looking points. Am gonna test the Crank sensor first by RPM on my Torque pro. Got it for my f350 6.0 diesel. Should give me a reading on RPM Then fuel pressure and relays. Got Prime in the Fuel pump by sound and a half second run on priming. Gas is a good idea, Will check after pressure testing. Then gonna make space in the garage to get it in i think. Gonna be cold for a while but if i can get it in without pulling thru the snow. It will be much easier. LOL Will let you all know what i find.

Layers, insulated boots, Kevlar gloves, and don't stop moving especially your hands. I'm forced to stay outside in similar weather for 8-12 hours on end so I'm used to it and those things help. Or stay inside and keep warm since you're not getting paid to fix it, it's only like 40 here and I won't go outside to replace my thermostat housing.
:chug:

After all the diag's looks like either a fuel pump, Clogged filter or pressure issue. 4 days of snow ahead so it will be a bit before i do more. Thanks for the ideas.

Odd thing is fuel pump cycles for about 2 seconds then quits, gives just enough pressure to spit a few drops.
Relays seem to be working right. So not sure what else would keep from pressure.

Sounds like it’s just worn out. At least it’s a cheap, and pretty easy job.

I wouldn’t buy a cheap pump, I’d get the Bosch or Motorcraft. If doing a cheap one I’d definitely cut an access panel.

Yep, makes me happy that i only paid a couple hundred for it. :) Was betting on and prepared for, a timing chain.
BtqWUi9n8c4
James Smith on Instagram: “Good looking rig”
BtqWUi9n8c4

Odd thing is fuel pump cycles for about 2 seconds then quits, gives just enough pressure to spit a few drops.
Relays seem to be working right. So not sure what else would keep from pressure.

So if the pump cycles when you turn the key to on then this tells us the fuel pump inertia switch, fuse and relay are all working as they should.
Sounds just like a very weak and almost dead fuel pump.
Change the pump, strainer and fuel filter

Thats the plan just gotta warm up here first. Unless i drag it thru the three feet of snow to the garage, which i may just do.

Ok, did more to it yesterday. Pulled out plugs front cylinder has fair compression 3 others don't, Broken cam??? anyway to find out without a teardown?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back