96 4.0 Starting issues

Mordecai

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer XLT OHV
Hey guys,
I’ve been trying to track down a weird starting issue I’ve had. My Explorer starts fine cold, 0 problems there with the starter. However, when the explorer gets up to operating temp, it’s shut off, and turned back on maybe within 20-30 minutes it has a hard time staying on once it’s started. Usually I’ll hold my foot on the throttle for a little bit to persuade it to stay running. Then once it’s running and up to temp again, 0 problems. It’s had spark plugs done recently, wires, fuel filter, new coolant, oil change etc. I’m Thinking I have some sort of fuel delivery issue going on that’s making it hesitate to stay on after it’s started. Any thoughts?
It’s an OHV by the way.

Edit: Did replace the ECT, I noticed that the OEM ECT sensor was pretty bad shape with some corrosion around it and looks like it was failing to seal properly. As far as starting goes, it seems like it starts a little nicer after it’s warmed up but I’ll have to monitor that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Coolant temp sensor, or IAC valve.

Coolant temp sensor, or IAC valve.
New IAC is on there, forgot to mention that. Coolant temperature sensor is something that is consuming to replace?

It’s a simple sensor. I’m not sure where it’s located on the 4.0. If the 4.0 is like the 5.0 there are two sensors for the coolant. One for the gauge, and one the computer uses. I think that’s how it is, but I’m not positive. I know that when they fail they can cause a hard starting issue.

Check fuel pressure when it happens

Also any check engine light?

Clogged cat converter
Iac and ect already covered

Could be crank sensor but usually a long crank when warm is low fuel pressure a fuel pump getting weak or bad pressure regulator

Best to put a fuel pressure gauge on it so you can at least rule that out

Check fuel pressure when it happens

Also any check engine light?

Clogged cat converter
Iac and ect already covered

Could be crank sensor but usually a long crank when warm is low fuel pressure a fuel pump getting weak or bad pressure regulator

Best to put a fuel pressure gauge on it so you can at least rule that out
Fuel pressure will be the next thing on the list, just about the only thing I haven’t covered yet. No check engine light, original cats were clogged, throwing codes and getting really hot so I replaced them with the oem 2 cat setup a bit ago.

Back