• Register Today It's free!

96 4WD problem

deerhunter_1

Reaction score
City, State
Dahlonega Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
I have a 96 EB 4.0, the 4wd will pop / slip when it gets any load on it, makes it sorta useless. Any time you turn the wheels or go up/down a hill it binds up and makes a bad jarring pop/slip. It feels and sounds way worse than it comes through in the video, the owner before me did not really even use the 4wd so it was not really abused. My guess is whatever auto lock feature this has is probably leaking if its vaccum controlled, but I wanted a second opinion on it. Here is a video of the noise-->

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No vacuum assist...just electrical/mechanical. Have you been leaving the dash switch in AUTO mode all the time? If so, there has always been small percentage of power directed to the front wheels. My guess is you have some internal damage to the transfer case. Been thru all that on my '98 where I didn't have the option to switch to 2WD...and, NEVER used 4HI/4LO.

My guess is something in transfer case. I would just pull transfer case and pop it open instead of trying to guess what it might be. It could be the fluid inside has dried up, fork pads are worn, a tooth broken off... A rebuild kit is not too expensive and rebuilding the transfer case isn't too hard. Hard part is getting it out. It's kinda heavy and hard to handle.

No vacuum assist...just electrical/mechanical. Have you been leaving the dash switch in AUTO mode all the time? If so, there has always been small percentage of power directed to the front wheels. My guess is you have some internal damage to the transfer case. Been thru all that on my '98 where I didn't have the option to switch to 2WD...and, NEVER used 4HI/4LO.
No mine has always been in 2wd. mine only has 2wd 4auto 4low, the previous owner never really used the 4wd in it, maybe a couple times. I was hoping it wouldnt be the transfer case but it was in the back of my mind. Someone else said its probably the case, that should be fun.

t case is not terrible on these trucks
two driveshafts and 5 bolts later she's out
You can get to the pass side top bolts with a 3/8 ratchet and long extension w wobbly from down by the exhaust

Your 96 4.0 is control trac AWD, they can be problematic when they get older
They are usually pretty easy to fix once inside, (there are nylon guides can come apart)
Drain the transfer case fluid and see what color it is, any bits of white plastic?
Your truck should also have a CAD center axle disconnect on the front differential which can cause some issues

96 also has a speed sensor in the tailhousing of the transfer case.
Your truck needs this, DO NOT turn in your 96 case for a core charge, only to find out later you just gave away some extremely rare parts..........

let us know what you find

t case is not terrible on these trucks
two driveshafts and 5 bolts later she's out
You can get to the pass side top bolts with a 3/8 ratchet and long extension w wobbly from down by the exhaust

Your 96 4.0 is control trac AWD, they can be problematic when they get older
They are usually pretty easy to fix once inside, (there are nylon guides can come apart)
Drain the transfer case fluid and see what color it is, any bits of white plastic?
Your truck should also have a CAD center axle disconnect on the front differential which can cause some issues

96 also has a speed sensor in the tailhousing of the transfer case.
Your truck needs this, DO NOT turn in your 96 case for a core charge, only to find out later you just gave away some extremely rare parts..........

let us know what you find
Ok thank you. I will let you know when I can start working on it

Back