96 5.0 AWD transfer case do I have a 6 or 4 bolt? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 5.0 AWD transfer case do I have a 6 or 4 bolt?

sugar_ray

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Pontiac grand am
Got a 96 exploder 5.0 AWD

While turning left at very low speeds I'm starting to get a pop like a gun has gone off. Sure feel it on the left side axle. Other then that it shifts perfectly at any road speed. I can go in a parking lot and do complete circles at low speed with the pop every 10 feet or so. Front suspension checks out and is a gem with lots of new parts on it. It's got that binding sensation like the vicious clutch is locked up

All my research has pointed to a bad transfer case. I've seen people post rebuilding their entire front end before realizing it was the case. Again it's an all wheel drive and not a 4wd so the brown wire mod doesn't help me.

It's been a great work truck for me!! I'm very mechanical and would have no issue swapping a case. Given the year of the truck I don't want to sink a ton of $$$$ into it. But if a local yard has one at a fair price id grab it!! I haven't climbed under yet to have a peek. So I'm just wondering if their is any way of telling if I have the 6 bolt cup or 4 bolt case?? Is VIN a good indicator or visual inspection the only way?? Am I correct when asking if a 96 or 97 matching case will work??

Thanks for any and all replies

Cheers

Back