96 5.0 AWD transfer case fluid | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

96 5.0 AWD transfer case fluid

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Limited 5.0 AWD
Did a search and can't find answer even tough i'm sure it's failry simple. I am replacing my transfer case and need to know which fluid to use. Is it regular Mercon or Mercon V in the transfer case. TIA

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

<

gavin

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L
either will be fine

<

<

joecrna

Reaction score
City, State
Las Flores, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 4X4 sohc
I don't see why either would not be fine. However, it calls for Mercon. All the Mercon V bottles I have and Motorcraft branded Mercon V trans fluid says "not for use in transfer cases". Ford dealer says they now have "transfer case fluid". I bought some but am willing to bet its just regular old Mercon trans fluid with a new label and higher price. I have no idea why Mercon V would not work but it only takes a couple quarts so why chance it?

<

Archerdragon

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale Az 85306
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
I have just bought a 2000 AWD and the owners manual says for mine 2000 Mecury Mountaineer to use Mercon in the transfer case and to use Mercon v in the transmission and not to interchange them. Of course if you look at Mercon V bottle it says not to use in tranfercase. And lots if folks say its bad on youtube. If you look at some Dextron/Merc bottles it will say good for where Mercon has been specified. Im still debating what to use but I know I wont use Mercon V for sure.

<

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Dextron/mercon is correct.

<

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
DO NOT RUN MERCON V in the transfer case
ever ever ever
Mercon V is tooooo slick for transfer cases and will destroy them! I learned this the hard way
Ford stopped using Mercon V in all t cases and you should too
Use MERCON III / DEX in transfer cases, yes even the 5.0 AWD unit

Or you can buy Ford transfer case fluid, which is basically mercon III

<

96eb96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
Official Licensed Mercon LV is the official Ford fluid being used now. That is what you would get if you went to a Ford dealer.

Regular Mercon (or should I say Mercon compatible, because Mercon is obsolete) would work well too. Again, you have to trust they are meeting the original Mercon Spec.

There is also a "Valvoline Transfer Case Fluid" which is probably Mercon LV for a few bucks more.

NO MERCON V.

<