• Register Today It's free!

96 5.0 tranny problem

pgdsm

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, B.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 awd limited
I have a 96 5.0 with a bw 4406 transfer case.

Now I have searched and not found a similar problem and honestly know nothing about transmissions.

The fluid has not been changed in a year.
I am not low on fluid but it does smell burnt.

my problem started yesterday.

When stopped in gear (any gear it didnt matter) the rpms would drop to 500 come up a lil then drop and stall.
The truck would idle fine in park or neutral but die if stopped in gear. The truck had no lose of power and no noticable slippage. All gears worked fine with no shift flares. I found when stopped if I kept the rpms at 1000 while in gear the truck would not stall.

Then this morning I drove it to school all problems seemed to be gone. same thing after school till I get almost all the way home off of the highway wont shift into 1st even if I manually shift it will not go into first. get it home and notice there is a slight delay putting it into reverse.

now would it be wise to pull the pan and inspect?/change fluid or just take it directrly to a tranny shop to get it checked out codes read.
oh btw I do not have a check engine light or flashing od light.

What could my problem possibly be?
I plan on taking it to a tranny shop tommorow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like a converter clutch problem. Either the converter itself or valve body/solenoid issue.

Be prepared to overhaul it.

well I wentand got it diagnosed from a tranny shop. No codes at all, took it out for a test drive, while still hooked up everything looked ok. the reader said the computer was signaling for it to shift into first but it was obviously not. Still no codes for some reason. Then a slight clunking sound in reverse.

was told its most likely the torque conerter, which now means a pile of trouble. so I was tld $1500- 2500 to rebuild it cdn dollars mind you.

Or A local auto wrecker can give me one for $900. So I decided to take the X home and sit on it for the weekend.

Well on the way home started to hear a clicking sound, then a sound that really sounded like th power steering pumps on older fords, then no drive whatsoever in anygear, I was stuck in traffic. revved it up and it would just slightly move at around 4 grand. I decided that wasnt that good and pushed it to the side of the road.

So now my predicament.
get a unkown condition one and throw it in myself (ever done but am certaiI wil be able to do it
- get the shop to rebuild it
buy another vehicle (as I was planning anyways) and use the re build diary here and rebuild the trany myself. . . which may be a lil over myhead

also more pointed towards glacier but anyone can chime in.

I am toing around a 347 or maybe a 351w ifpossible into my x so I asked about upgrading the tranny. my guy said no to shift kits and keep the stock specs on torque convertors, new epc solenoids which is part of the rebuild anyways. replaing some shaft with a better one and the rear hub?

is there anything I should specifically ask for?

Well, I disagree on shift kits. Just do not go overboard.

The shaft he is talking about is the stub shaft that connects the direct clutch and forward clutch... there is an upgraded version (covered in the rebuild diary for the 4R70W).

I agree completely with his advice on torque convertors - stay with stock specs.

The rear case bushing in these needs to be reaplaced as well. I *think *I have pretty well covered all available upgrades in the rebuild diary....

You had PM'd me and asked if I sold the rebuild diary 4R70W, and the answer was yes. I am holding it for the buyer who is in the military and overseas. Since everything else except the case was new, I decided to put in a brand new valve body as well...specific to his model year and application.... with an added shift kit and a J-Mod added to it. I have yet to do that.

I do have a 4WD 4R70W on hand that I plan to rebuild on request (2000 model year, low mileage, but backwards compatible) and a 2WD 98, which I can build either 4WD or 2WD on request. Main issue is number of starter bolts... I have cases for both 2 and 3. Price would depend on level of build.

The Diary model went for 2K but was all out upgraded and virtually new. Other rebuilds would start at just over half that price and go up depending.

I am not a fan of junkyard trannies.... but understand why they appeal.

Just a small warning,a 4R70W in an Explorer is a very,very tight fit. I'd rank it as one of the more difficult Ford trannys to remove.. Once out and on the bench, it's one of the easiest trannys to overhaul.

I must admit I have never removed one, but agree the 4R70W can probably be rebuilt using bubble gum and baling wire... and still last... esp as compared to the 5R55E. (ok ok a little exxageration....)

ya after reading through the manual from ford I do ot think it would be worth it for me to rebuild it. Now I would really like glacier to build me a tranny but shipping and time contraints may be a problem. so I will most likely get the shop to fix it.
glacier you said you recomend shift kits but just dont over do it so what exactly do you recommend? I just re read yr rebuild diary and did not see itin there.

Shift kits are designed to address shortcomings that have become apparent in factory designs after some field experience. Often they will have an alternate design for a spool or other component, or may suggest modifications to the VB itself, like drilling out holes in the VB to a larger size.

Those holes were designed to a certain size for a certain reason. With the shift kit information, you can drill them out to varying increased sizes for firmer, faster shifts. This is where you can over do it. I recommend you stay away from the wilder sizes.

The J Mod is a system of VB modification pioneered by Jerry Wreblowski, a former FORD engineer and now reknowned super tuner. It is mainly drilling out passages (holes) in the separator plate to improve performance.

I have not done the VB for the 4R70W yet, so that part of the Diary remains undone for now.

I am finding that terminal to terminal freight is a fast and economical way to ship, if you have an air or ground terminal served by the freight forwarding company nearby. Often depending on location I can ship a 4R70W for around $150-$175.

Back