• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

96 5.0l RWD to hi-lo 4x4

Mangus17

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer xlt
I have a 1996 5.0l rwd I'm looking at switching it to 4 wheel drive with HI-LO, I know I can buy one but this one is in amazing condition and was a Georgia vehicle its whole life and shows it, barely any rust at all, what transmission and transfer case do I need?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

410Fortune

Mud Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 Slightly Modified
Your truck has a 4r70w automatic RWD
You need a 4r70w 4wd, consider upgrading to a 98+ 4r70w with the 98+ internal solenoids and wiring harness

Then you have a couple of t case options:
BW4406m
BW4406e
Ford NP205

I prefer the 4406m because it basically bolts in along with the correct front and rear driveshafts
You will have to replace your trans, or at least have your rwd trans converted to a 4wd trans using a new output shaft and tail housing (requires rebuild)
The 4406m is a 2wd, 4hi and 4lo case found in 97-04 F150
Your 96 Explorer is expecting to see a VSS sensor in the back of the transmission, now in the back of the T case
So you NEED to use a 97-98 F150 t case as they still have the VSS sensor
You have to cut a hole in the floor for the t case shifter and hook up the two lights in your dash for 4hi and 4 low

Have you tried searching for this? It has been covered!!
The 4x4 t case in a 5.0 Explorer is AWESOME!!

Back in 2006 I converted my 96 AWD explorer to the 4406m t case, added the VSS sensor, sorted out the driveshafts and hooked up the lights all right here in this thread:
410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range

Reactions: imp

Mangus17

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer xlt
I did for a little bit but didnt find something I could just see in 1 section, if I have the 4x4 switch from a 95 explorer from the dash could I use that?

Mangus17

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer xlt
What kind of driveshafts and how was bolting in the new differential and what kind did you go with?

410Fortune

Mud Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 Slightly Modified
what?

The 4x4 dash switch from a Ranger or Explorer can work with the 4406e transfer case and shift motor yes.
You would need to wire in a 4x4 control module and shift motor........... this has been done and covered
Search for "5.0 explorer 4406 electronic shift"

Ford driveshafts from a F150 or Expedition that go with the 4406 t case shortened to fit the explorer