96 5.0l RWD to hi-lo 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 5.0l RWD to hi-lo 4x4

Mangus17

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer xlt
I have a 1996 5.0l rwd I'm looking at switching it to 4 wheel drive with HI-LO, I know I can buy one but this one is in amazing condition and was a Georgia vehicle its whole life and shows it, barely any rust at all, what transmission and transfer case do I need?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your truck has a 4r70w automatic RWD
You need a 4r70w 4wd, consider upgrading to a 98+ 4r70w with the 98+ internal solenoids and wiring harness

Then you have a couple of t case options:
BW4406m
BW4406e
Ford NP205

I prefer the 4406m because it basically bolts in along with the correct front and rear driveshafts
You will have to replace your trans, or at least have your rwd trans converted to a 4wd trans using a new output shaft and tail housing (requires rebuild)
The 4406m is a 2wd, 4hi and 4lo case found in 97-04 F150
Your 96 Explorer is expecting to see a VSS sensor in the back of the transmission, now in the back of the T case
So you NEED to use a 97-98 F150 t case as they still have the VSS sensor
You have to cut a hole in the floor for the t case shifter and hook up the two lights in your dash for 4hi and 4 low

Have you tried searching for this? It has been covered!!
The 4x4 t case in a 5.0 Explorer is AWESOME!!

Back in 2006 I converted my 96 AWD explorer to the 4406m t case, added the VSS sensor, sorted out the driveshafts and hooked up the lights all right here in this thread:
410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range

I did for a little bit but didnt find something I could just see in 1 section, if I have the 4x4 switch from a 95 explorer from the dash could I use that?

What kind of driveshafts and how was bolting in the new differential and what kind did you go with?

what?

The 4x4 dash switch from a Ranger or Explorer can work with the 4406e transfer case and shift motor yes.
You would need to wire in a 4x4 control module and shift motor........... this has been done and covered
Search for "5.0 explorer 4406 electronic shift"

Ford driveshafts from a F150 or Expedition that go with the 4406 t case shortened to fit the explorer

I'm trying to find the transmission and I get this, which one am I to choose?
Screenshot_20200404-120853_Chrome.jpg

well none of those actually
The 4.2L 4x4 one might work as the 4.2 and 5.0 share the same bellhousing, however that 4.2L only came in an F150 so I am not sure if would have similar enough electronics to match your 96

The one you want is a 98-2001 Ford EXPLORER 5.0 AWD 4r70w

I say 98-01 because they are better then the 96-97
Then you will want to use the dtrs and wiring harness from your old 96 trans and modify it on the passenger side plug so the 96 wiring will work with the 98+ trans

Fire up the welder and run a divorced case?

Ok so I need:
97-98 F150 BW4406e
4r70w transmission from a 98-01 AWD explorer
Drive shafts from 98-01 AWD explorer?

Your driveshafts will come from two different f150s.

actually any 4.6 F150 or expedition you can use the front driveshaft will bolt in with a conversion U joint
You may have to shorten the shaft 1/2", this can be done with a grinder.

For the rear driveshaft I have used F150, expedition and also RWD explorer shafts modified to fit with the 4406 slip yoke style t case. These shafts need to be shortened at a driveline shop. There is one d shaft that will bolt into your explorer the 97-98 expedition shaft (these trucks still had a solid rear axle) and some short wheelbase F150 shafts will bolt in... but instead of searching and searching for these I typically just get the F150 shaft and then have it shortened (re tubed) to the correct length at the local driveline shop. $300-450 with new spicer U joints

I dont think so
5.4 uses a 4r100 and 4407 t case, not the same output as the 4.6/4r7w/4406 t case driveshaft

I'm going to be doing thos in the next 2 weeks, the junk yards are pulling the parts, how do I know which driveshaft from an expedition will work for the rear, I'm only making it rwd for now and then adding the front drive shade and fro t drive train at a later date, so how do I know it's the right length and do I need a control module for the electronic shift?

97-98 expedition with a 4.6 = correct rear shaft

if you are installing a 4406 electric shift transfer case then yes you have some major wiring to do
not only do you need to install the t case and its shift motor but you need to get the through the floor wiring that usually goes to the e shift transfer case, the 4x4 dash switch and all of its wiring. Then you will need a motorolla 4x4 control module from a 02+ ranger or explorer and you will have to wire that in............ i can help you with that but you should know what you are getting into, if you are not good at wiring then i suggest you consider the 4406 manual t case or just use the 'shiftster' from advance adapters

715562: Shiftster - Manual Shifting Knob for Electric Borg Warner Transfer Cases | Advance Adapters

Shiftster_2.jpg

I know exactly where the wires pop through the floorboard I've taken a 95 4.0 ohv and stuck EVERYTHING from a 2001 5.0l emissions to the switching the wiring behind the dash, so I'll need the Motorola control module, will i need to take the dash off or I think the clip to attach it to the wiring should be there on the side if the stereo

Also do you happen to know the part number for the Motorola module? I cant seem to find it

i do not know the part number, I just go to the yard and pull them............02= ranger they are in the pass side kick panel
some gen iii explorers they are in the dash behind the stereo i believe ( been a while)

the v8 is missing one neutral safety wire for the 4x4 system. a nss feed from the DTRS to the 42 pin connector, you will have to add this

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

save these;
171_211917_470000000.gif

171_211917_470000001.gif

171_211917_470000002.gif

Back