'96 axle/coil springs swap into '90 BII. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'96 axle/coil springs swap into '90 BII.

Su Dog

Reaction score
City, State
SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
I am working on a future budget build in the next few months. I want to switch out the old BII coil and leaf springs and I am going to try using the 1996 explorer. Both Suv's are 4wd. Is this possible?
I know that the '96 explorer has the 8.8 in the rear and the Dana 35 in the front. What exactly needs to done with the 8.8 to match the with the front dana 35? Is there welding involved? etc.?
If I use the the springs, I see they are over the axle. This would mean that I basically need a leveling kit instead of a suspension lift , correct? I have visited the James Duff(JD) web page and I see several suspension lift packages, but this is a budget build.
I also will be swapping the V8, transmission, wiring harness, and hopefully the dash from the explorer. I know that the JD website shows a 2" body lift that will be needed for the engine swap as well.
I appreciate you reading this and trying to help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 96 is IFS and the BII is TTB. More work then reward. Entire front is different. Do a SAS on the BII and be done.

The rear 8.8 is easy. Just weld on new spring perches and shock mounts. Get the gearing matched up and have fun.

The motor swap is a big job. It has been done.

fire, yes sir , I know they changed the frame in 95 for the V8 to fit. The 90 has the dana 35 and I will put in the 3.73 gears in front and back. the 96 explorer I am looking at has a 31 spline. I think the front has to match that also, correct? Is the length of the 8.8 longer than the front Dana 35? Is this going to make the back tires stick out more?

I have a 97 explorer rear in my 88 BII
I converted the 8.8 to spring over and set the pinion angle, welded on some shock mounts

yes the explorer 8.8 is about 2" wider iverall, not a big deal

You must match front and rear gear ratio in a 4x4 vehicle,, yes
in 95 they changed the frame to accomodate the IFS torsion bar front suspension, which uses a dana 35 center section

it was not to fit the V8, the V8 was shoehorned in there as an afterthought

the TTB dana 28 under your 88 ranger can easily be replaced with a 91-94 explorer dana 35 ttb as an upgrade, but using parts from the 96 IFS is not going to happen

Back