'96 EB Explorer No Heat | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'96 EB Explorer No Heat

MPNX2

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
We have a 96 EB Explorer that does not have any heat blowing from the heater any longer. I have done a few checks listed here. The EATC self test displays an "888" after testing so does this mean the blend door is working as it should? Also, both the in and out hoses going into the firewall for the heater core are warm. Th AC works just fine. Also, the temp gauge on the dash is working and the motor seems to be coming upto temp so this would mean that the T-Stat is work correct? I am at a loss on what to check next. The heater worked great then my wif went to the dealer and had them look into a "Check Engine" light on the dash and since then it hasnt worked... any thoughts?

BTW its a 1996 Explorer with the 4.0 V6.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have a 96 EB Explorer that does not have any heat blowing from the heater any longer. I have done a few checks listed here. The EATC self test displays an "888" after testing so does this mean the blend door is working as it should? Also, both the in and out hoses going into the firewall for the heater core are warm. Th AC works just fine. Also, the temp gauge on the dash is working and the motor seems to be coming upto temp so this would mean that the T-Stat is work correct? I am at a loss on what to check next. The heater worked great then my wif went to the dealer and had them look into a "Check Engine" light on the dash and since then it hasnt worked... any thoughts?

BTW its a 1996 Explorer with the 4.0 V6.

No 888 means the motor was able to move but the door pivot may very well be shattered.

probably a broken blend door. Search for more info.

Could also be a water pump maybe?

No 888 means the motor was able to move but the door pivot may very well be shattered.

probably a broken blend door. Search for more info.

Is there anyway to verfiy the broken door without cutting a hole in the box behind the glove box?

Is there anyway to verfiy the broken door without cutting a hole in the box behind the glove box?

If you can take off the blend door actuator (not impossible on a 96, its held by a few clips) then look in with a mirror and light down the shaft. There is a tutorial on the internet how to fix it with a pin and see whats going on in there.
http://www.blenddoorfix.netfirms.com/

good luck!

You should be able to hear the door move, put the blower on lowest setting and listen as you switch the selector back and forth between hot and cold.

Back