96 Ex 0-15mph shudder +60 vibrations | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Ex 0-15mph shudder +60 vibrations

slickemhoundd

Reaction score
City, State
Glassboro, southern jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited 5.0
Ive been noticing a shudder that mildly vibrates the truck when accellerating from a dead stop and it dies out around 15 mph. The odd thing is its almost as if you can feel the vibration move from under the seat toward the back of the truck as it starts to dissapate going toward 15mph. Was wondering about the ujoints but wouldnt really make much sense, the only other vibrations im getting is around +60mph. I swear its the tires but ive balanced them around every oil change. Im just hoping its not a TC shudder but wasnt sure if anyone else experienced this. Also new hubs, and u joints i put in 6 months ago. No odd noises just shudders and vibrations

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tires can have a hard or stiff area in the cords or be out of round and no amount of balancing can fix them. It could be U joints or trans problems also.
A broken steel belt can also cause this problem.

Ive only put around 13k on the mt/rs with kevlar, theyve been a pain to balance from day one, for ***** and giggles ive reseated the beads and from everything ive seen the rims and tires appear to perfectly round. I was thinking u joints but im not getting the same sypmtoms ive gotten many times over the years not to say they arent the issue..... maybe thats where ill start, im thinking of swapping tires off my buddies truck to take for a spin to see if theres a difference. if not id think its a TC issue or a hmmmm i do need to swap my tranfercase in..... 4wd is pretty beat..... hmmmm

had some free time today, i found that the trans mount is damn near toast and also found that the output on the transfer case has alot of slop in it. U-joints are as snug as the day i put them in. Soooo i can only imagine this is my issue. hmph

Also seemed as if my rear driveshaft has a little slop in the slip yoke or the splined shaft

Back