96 ex Front axle / diff vent tube leaking fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 ex Front axle / diff vent tube leaking fluid

pepehuertars

Reaction score
City, State
Santiago
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport
Hello, recently discovered some oily leak at the passenger side control arm. Following the fluid turned to be the axle or differential vent tube which is leaking fluid, event being in a vertical position.

I found this thread about the issue:

Diff Fluid Coming Out of Breather Tube..

They suggest there to get the OEM replacement cover kit to solve it, which seems a little bit over the top.

I just want to ask you guys if you have found any creative ways to solve the problem besides the OEM parts (can't find it anywhere btw).

Some badly taken pics:

2844D943-66A2-4ABA-9FB5-80A6C5A99606.jpeg

09494812-AAB5-4230-8B00-32FBA3FBA40A.jpeg

D0EBF724-754A-419A-9442-86643D86C93F.jpeg

Thank you

Was this differential serviced anytime recently?
You should remove the vent tube cap (white plastic bit) and blow some air through the hose, make sure it is clear all the way through to the diff.
When you drive the fluid in your diff heats up and expands, when it does the air above it needs a way to escape or it will build up pressure. This vent tube is the way for air to escape. If the tube has some blockage it will build up pressure behind it until it begins to spit out.
So you should simply make sure the tube is clear and the tip is clean
Then pull the fill plug and make sure you have the correct fluid level in the diff.
If the fluid is overfilled or under filled it can cause issues. Under filled will cause the diff to heat up, which can also cause fluid to spit out of the vent.

I have no idea if the diff was serviced by the prior owner but I'm 95% confident he didn't for the state of other things more important. Certainly I haven't serviced the diff, neither changed the fluid. It does have 90k milles, maybe it's time.

90K is not bad!! I consider that very low miles for a truck of your year.

It is a good time to do it. You can search the front diff service procedure right here on EF.com
My guess is your vent tube has some blockage but is not cut off completely yet.
This truck likely driven on a dirt road/ in the dirt often

Back