96 Exp LTD odometer & speedometer don't work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Exp LTD odometer & speedometer don't work

tikki

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer LTD
The check engine light is on & the code reader gave me a P0500, which indicates an issue with a speed sensor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1st guess would be the VSS down at the back of the transmission.

Pretty inexpensive, easy to replace.

Thank you, I'll look into it.

1996 model the VSS is at the back of the transfer case. Right at the output flange.

I have a 99 with no speedo and I already replaced the abs pickup on the rear diff any other ideas?

I have a 99 with no speedo and I already replaced the abs pickup on the rear diff any other ideas?

Do you have a flashing OD OFF light, or check engine light turned on?

If not, your speedometer is dead.

Check all of your fuses, as there are 3 which protect the instrument cluster.

Do you have a flashing OD OFF light, or check engine light turned on?

If not, your speedometer is dead.

Check all of your fuses, as there are 3 which protect the instrument cluster.

Thank you I do have a code 32 ...I'll let you know how it goes.
Flash

ok i have changed both the egr and the DPFE as per haynes and chiltons and still a code 32. Anyone know how to clear the code???

You could clear the code with a scanner, or if you unhook the battery for about 10-15 mins IIRC it should clear the code.

Don't clear codes. That deletes information that could be helpful, especially if you recruit someone else to help. It also resets counters that could trip a DTC that would help you diagnose the problem (some problems have to be encountered a minimum number of times to set a DTC).

With an OBDII reader and Forscan, you can see the speed from each individual sensor. Could help you determine which one to look into. The issue may be wiring, not the sensor itself.

The speedo was bad, replaced it now it works...Thanks Turdle

I still have a flashing air bag light...code 32

The speedo was bad, replaced it now it works...Thanks Turdle

I still have a flashing air bag light...code 32

That is normally due to a bad connection somewhere in the clock spring.

Replacing the clock spring should fix this code. It is not as difficult as it sounds.

Just make sure when you begin, the steering wheel is centered, and do not move the steering wheel during replacement.

There are several you tube videos covering this.

Now my windows stop working;....any body want to buy an explorer???

Back