96 explorer 2wd xlt limited pre runner project | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 explorer 2wd xlt limited pre runner project

Today i realised that i want to start a project on my explorer. I want to turn it into a pre runner set up. But i need some ideas on what to do with my truck.
96 explorer pre runner ideas. The truck is all stock except for the system i put into it but thats all.
These are what i am thinking about doing to my truck give me some advice on what i should do and what i shouldnt
Front End:
-J arm w/ fox or kind shocks possible 5 inch lift
-33' super swammpers
-Pre runner front end with HID lights
-Fiberglass fenders
-Engine frame

Rear:
-Level it out with some shocks in the rear going into the cab
-Rear bumper

Engine: 4.0L V6 Automatic
-Cold air intake
-Performance chip
-magnaflow exhuast
-new headers

If you want to actually make it off road capable here is your starting point. I do mean STARTING point, as this will be only enough to get it offroad not a full pre-runner.

Long travel coilover kit up front 4-5 inches wider per axle.
- there are a few who already make the kit such as BTF fabrication, Dixon Bros, Bliztkrieg...I personally run the BTF with caged motor.
(important to note that the least expensive kit is still going to cost over $3000 with just coilover shocks). Add to that bypasses and bump stops and you can add on some more.

In the rear you can get away with a perch flip and dialing in the soft body shocks you mentioned running into the cab. As well as a shock hoop, but it will be rough riding. Deaver springs or Nationals are your next step. After that the levels go up to 3 link, 4 link and more work.

You will also need to re gear to match your new tires and may as well swap in a wider axle to match up the front at that time. You will have to do this anyway why not now. Many people like the 9". But I have found other axles that do as well.

You will need fiberglass front and rear - many makers of this.

There's the STARTING point for a prerunner x.

Back