96 Explorer 4.0 4x4 want to upgrade to 5.0 manual trans. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Explorer 4.0 4x4 want to upgrade to 5.0 manual trans.

John JR

Reaction score
City, State
Lyndhurst NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford explorer XLT
Does anyone know what's I need and how it is made easier.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can convert your truck to a 5.0L and M5OD 5 speed manual transmission, it is totally possible.
Have you tried the search function yet?

To Keep things short:
Your 96 Explorer was available with the pushrod 4.0 v6 and the pushrod GT40 5.0 v8.
The v8 trucks never did use a manual transmission, but since it is a 302 there are manual transmissions that will bolt up.
You can use the 5.0L drivetrain from a 96-01 Explorer or mountaineer and bolt the v8 into your truck
You will have to tune the v8 Explorer pcm to delete the automatic transmission functions in order to make it run correctly with the manual transmission.

Is this what you were thinking?

Welcome to EF

Thank you both so get a 5.0 from Explorer 01 to 06 should I also get full wire harness from fire wall to engine and a PCM from a 5.0 explorer should make it easier correct. Have any of you guys done this before ? Can I use a 90's Mustang 5.0 ?

The 302 was in the explorer from 1996 to 2001
You would need the engine, computer, and complete engine/trans/drivetrain wiring harness to convert your current 96 to the explorer V8. You will also need exhaust, driveshafts, some plumbing some wiring, etc etc.......There is more to it then this, but this will get you started.
again if you use the 96-01 explorer setup you will have to remove the transmission functions from the PCM because these trucks were all automatic and the engine will not run right if the trans is not there.

Yes you could use the 90 Mustang engine, but the 96-01 explorer GT40 version of the 302 is already packaged to fit your explorer and is in my opinion a better start to a explorer conversion

Yes people here have done conversions like this many many times, the 302 has been done into all ranger based trucks since 1984 all the way up to 2011
I have done several V8 conversions myself, none using the 5 speed....yet.

Is your current truck a auto or 5 speed?

Best bet is to buy a donor vehicle so you have everything to swap over.

Grab a 5 speed from a 4.2 F-150 and have the auto teams stuff deleted from your computer.

the M5od-R2 was used behind the 302 and 4.2 V6 in F150 and FSB trucks
The nice thing about the full size M5od R2 is that it will work with the ranger/Explorer master and slave cylinders

M5OD-R2[edit]
Only the unit from behind the 5.0 or 4.2 will have the correct bellhousing bolt pattern
the 4.9L I6, 2.5, 3.0 and 4.6 versions will not bolt to the 302 (at least that is my understanding)

If you already have a 96 Explorer that is a 5 speed then the swap is not terrible especially if you use a 96-97.5 302 explorer donor. The 98-01` trucks have pats security and returnless fuel, along with some other changes that can make the swap a little bit more challenging (but still do able)

Back