96 Explorer 4R55E with a broken band. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Explorer 4R55E with a broken band.

journeyman23

Reaction score
City, State
Shell Knob Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hello my name is Douglas, I have a 96 explorer 4.0 with a 4R55E tranny.
Scaned and recieved a P1780, P0732 and P0756 codes. trouble shot and determined that it needed a shift solenoid. But when I dropped the pan
I discovered that the clutch band was broken in half and part of it was in the pan, the rest I pulled out with needle nose pliers. Put the pan back on and added fluid.(I did not replace solenoid) Thing still drives but you have to lift
off the gas to shift from first to second.Second to third is fine,but fourth
(O.D.) is not functioning. O.D. light flashes and check engine light stay on.
Is the missing band part of the O.D. problem? Or is that seperate? Also I
was told that they make a two piece replacement band. Any advice on if this
is true, where to purchase, and how to install would be greatly appriciated.THANKS Douglas.

Hello my name is Douglas, I have a 96 explorer 4.0 with a 4R55E tranny.
Scaned and recieved a P1780, P0732 and P0756 codes. trouble shot and determined that it needed a shift solenoid. But when I dropped the pan
I discovered that the clutch band was broken in half and part of it was in the pan, the rest I pulled out with needle nose pliers. Put the pan back on and added fluid.(I did not replace solenoid) Thing still drives but you have to lift
off the gas to shift from first to second.Second to third is fine,but fourth
(O.D.) is not functioning. O.D. light flashes and check engine light stay on.
Is the missing band part of the O.D. problem? Or is that seperate? Also I
was told that they make a two piece replacement band. Any advice on if this
is true, where to purchase, and how to install would be greatly appriciated.THANKS Douglas.

i would assume that the missing band is part of the over drive function, i think you need to let off the gas because now it no longer has a clutch to stop and then shift gears on it's own. i don't know alot about transmissions but i think that your problems have to do with that band.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread to the transmission section. I'm sorry to say this, but a broken band means that you have to remove the transmission to replace the band (rebuild time). It's possible to get away with only replacing the band if it's the front overdrive band, but either way you have to remove the transmission from the vehicle, and open it up.

Back