96 explorer 4x4 - 4dr rear door sticking problem? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 explorer 4x4 - 4dr rear door sticking problem?

hot&sexy_1120

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer 4x4
Hey everyone,

I need some help with a problem i have..

I have a 1996 Ford explorer 4x4 4 door.

I have done some modifications to my truck since i took ownership. I have done my own maintance and fixed everything that has needed to be fixed except for the rear back driver and passanger door.. For some odd reason the back rear doors will not open what so ever from the inside but they will open from the outside. I have made sure the child safety lock was off as well. Ive tried for the past 2 weeks trying to figure out what could be the problem...

Can someone please help me and tell me what i can or need to do to resolve the issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a similar problem but with the outside handles. First spray the latch with a decent amount of wd-40. then with the door open, close the latch itself and put a screw driver through it simulating the pin. while holding the handle in the open position, try to force the screw driver through the pins opening them. if this does not work, remove the door panel to make sure the rods are matched to the latch. i know the outside handle is adjustable to change the amount of pull needed to release the latch, the inner one may be adjustable as well. it would have a plastic clip that opens, you move the rod to a new position, close the clip and try it.

That really doesnt help me and have to do with what i asked. But thanks anyways

ok thank you very much !!! i will have to try taking apart the doors again and seeing if thats the problem.

Well not for nothing, I also suggested looking at the linkage arms inside the door before you shot me down as having nothing to do with your problem....

The first two things I said merely help you figure out where the problem might be. I had to fix my front passenger door this very same way.

Back