96 Explorer 5.0 AWD single cardan front driveshaft | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Explorer 5.0 AWD single cardan front driveshaft

masospaghetti

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
My 96 V8 is missing the front shaft, but appears to have the "circular flange" at the transfer case, unlike most other Explorers which either used the CV joint or a double cardan joint.

This is the effective replacement from Napa:

721620.jpg

But its a single cardan joint. Is this right?

Here is a shaft from Auto Parts Unlimited with the double cardan, but this is more expensive:

front-driveshaft.jpg

Won't it vibrate like crazy without a double cardan joint?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think either of them are right. It should have a u joint at one end and a cv at the other.

95, 96, and some 97s still used u-joints instead of the CV. They changed it to reduce vibrations. You can use the single cardan, but if the double isn't much more expensive, I'd recommend that.

Any idea how much worse the single cardan will be? It's almost an extra $100 for the double, and I can get the single locally.

I definitely do not have the CV joint.

A lot depends on how you drive it. I know that they had also changed the transfer case and pinion angle slightly with the GKN CV models too, so that was the biggest reason they dropped the u-joint. If you stay under 65, you probably won't even notice anything different. After that, you might experience vibrations but I've never noticed the older second gens shaking too bad, so I don't think there will be much difference. Though I don't know if the ones I've driven were single or double cardan... The double cardan would pretty much guarantee no shake and last longer, but if it's a hundred more it's not really worth it.

My 97 has the cv end. I didn't know the earlier ones didn't.

So I called USA Industries (the rebuilder for Advance Auto) and they confirmed that their shafts have a double cardan at the transfer case. With the promo code TRT30, the price is $235 with core charge, $188 without core. They rebuild these in Illinois. I think I am going to go this route.

Is there anything special about the hardware to bolt up the shaft? Will standard bolts work?

My 97 has the CV joint....

Bill

My 97 has the CV joint....

Bill

the change from DC to CV was made mid-97 MY.

OP, you can try a junkyard. May be able to find something close, and then take it to a shop to add a CV. Although in the end it may end up costing just as much.

Back