• Register Today It's free!

96 Explorer Air bag code 52

hunterpayne

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Ridge, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer EB
Need Help. I replaced the battery and now I have an air bag code 52 staying on. I understand this is common during loss of battery power and can be cleared. Where is the Air bag diagnostic connector is this vehicle? Does it run through the OBDII connector? I put my scanner on it but has no codes through the computer.

Check fuse 19 in the Power Distribution Box.

DTC B1867: LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE — LAMP FAULT CODE 12/52
Possible Causes

WARNING: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SUBSTITUTE ANOTHER FUSE VALUE. ANY FUSE OTHER THAN 10A MAY CAUSE DISARMING FAILURE AND MAY RESULT IN DANGER TO THE OCCUPANTS OF THE VEHICLE. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLACE THE 10A FUSE UNLESS THE AIR BAG SYSTEM FIRST HAS BEEN DEACTIVATED (REFER TO DEACTIVATION PROCEDURE FOR DETAILS).

NOTE: If a short to ground exists on any of the Circuits 607 (LB/O), 614 (GY/O), 615 (GY/W), or 616 (PK/BK) leading to a lamp fault code 13 or 53 and DTC B1913 or similarly a short to ground exists on any of Circuits 619 (PK/W), 624 (Y/W), 625 (Y/LG), and 617 (PK/O) leading to a lamp fault code 14 or 54 and DTC B1914 the air bag diagnostic monitor will activate an internal solid state switch at Pin C1-13 of the air bag diagnostic monitor. This causes the 10 amp battery Fuse 19 (10A) to blow, thus disarming the air bag system and preventing inadvertent air bag deployment. If power distribution box battery fuse has blown, it must be replaced by a 10A fuse.

Low voltage at air bag diagnostic monitor Pin C1-14, Circuit 937 (R/W) can be caused by:

An open in the battery circuit that would prevent battery positive voltage (B+) from reaching air bag diagnostic monitor Pin C1-14, Circuit 937 (R/W).
A short to ground on the battery feed circuit between the Fuse 19 (10A) and Pin C1-13, Circuit 937 (R/W) or Pin C1-14, Circuit 937 (R/W) of the air bag diagnostic monitor.
A concern in the charging system causing battery voltage to drop below 8 volts.
After the air bag diagnostic monitor has disarmed the air bag system, it will not be enabled to disarm again until the appropriate condition (DTC B1913 or B1914) has been serviced and cleared by performing appropriate pinpoint tests.

Electrical Schematic — Diagnostic Trouble Code B1867 — Lamp Fault Code 12
B1867LFC12or52.gif

What kind of scanner do you have? Not all scanners are capable of reading these codes.

My Equus 3110 CAN/OBD II scanner won't read it either. See the reference to "Lamp Flash Code"? Just turn on the ignition switch and count the flashes the air bag indicator blinks out. It will repeat several times before staying on solid. As the original poster had a 50 code it would blink out as ***** ** ***** ** ***** **.

Back