96 Explorer - compressor wont switch from heat/cold air | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Explorer - compressor wont switch from heat/cold air

halfbakedj14

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer
I have a 1996 Ford Explorer 4 Dr Eddie Bauer 4WD. I am having a problem with my heat/air compressor I think. What is happening is that my compressor (or whatever switches from heat to cold located behind my glove compartment) isn’t switching over. Something that sounds like a flap or fan blade makes an annoying “clicking” sound behind where my glove compartment is. At first it did this for a few seconds then the “flap” would kick in properly and switch over to the heat or cold air, it kind of sounds like when a vacuum cleaner gets clogged then all of a sudden unclogs. But now the “flap” or fan blade won’t switch over at all and it is now stuck on heat and constantly makes the “clicking” noise. I was able to get the clicking noise to stop by disconnecting this white plug that connects to the compressor behind the glove compartment, which I later learned means that the air conditioner wont work while it’s unplugged which I guess doesn’t matter since the fan blade or whatever wouldn’t switch over anyway.
I begging someone to please help me at all if anyone knows what the problem is and could give me some advice. It’s getting hot and I want to be able to use my air. Thank you.

It's called a blend door, and it's broken. Search the forum for "blend door fix" and you'll find all kinds of info.

Then again, if you think your compressor is in/behind your dash, I think maybe you should leave this to a professional, and take it to a shop.

I dont know what it's called, it's a black box behind my glove compartment, it's the only word I could think to describe it but thanks though!

The "black box" itself is the heater plenum. Your heater core is also in there. The plug you disconnected, is for the blend door actuator, which in turn, oddly enough, moves the blend door. The top of the blend doors break, leaving the actuator with nothing to turn.

Back