'96 Explorer driver's side mirror replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'96 Explorer driver's side mirror replacement

I have a 1996 Explorer which needs a new driver's side mirror thanks to some knuclehead who decided to punch it out. Anyway, I have the replacement part but need some help putting her in. Can anyone help with some directions? Thanks.

Here ya go, direct from the factory service manual.

Mirror, Power, Outside Rearview Explorer

Removal

1. Remove the door trim panel, door speaker and peel back the water shield if necessary to gain access to the mirror wiring connector and mirror attaching nuts.

2. Disconnect the wiring connector.

3. Remove the three nuts attaching the mirror to the door.

4. Pull mirror away from the door while guiding the wiring out of the door.

Installation

1. Guide the wiring through the door.

2. Install the nuts attaching the mirror to the door. Tighten nuts to 6-8 N-m (53-71 lb-in).

3. Connect the wiring connector. Install the water shield using vinyl tape as required. Install the door speaker and install the door trim panel.

Thanks

Thank you for the response. It will be my first time removing the door trim panel. It's a big panel, though. Where do I start to get that sucker out?

Start by removing the screws for the armrest. There are a couple of them. Then take a flathead screwdriver/putty knife and slowly work your way around the trim panel prying it off. You might want to buy a new set of the plastic panel retainers because it's easy to ruin them and then the door panel no longer fits tight. You can get a large bag of them at the dealer or you can get a small package of them at autozone.

Back