• Register Today It's free!

96 Explorer Engine code need help

Swordfish94x

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4dr 2wd Explorer
Ok so I ran it with an OBD II and it came up as P0136, and after researching it I believe it's the Bank 1 Sensor 2. My check engine light comes on and goes off frequently. I need some advice on how easy of a fix it is, and maybe a step by step run through of it because I've never changed out an 02 sensor before. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Ok so I ran it with an OBD II and it came up as P0136, and after researching it I believe it's the Bank 1 Sensor 2. My check engine light comes on and goes off frequently. I need some advice on how easy of a fix it is, and maybe a step by step run through of it because I've never changed out an 02 sensor before. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
O2sensors are very easy to replace. If they are not rusted into the fitting. Get yourself a sensor socket if you have room to use it, otherwise a box end wrench. Disconnect the wire, remove and replace the sensor. I recommend you not run your fingers on the end of the sensor, though it may not hurt it. I just think it is not a good idea. Dont forget to use antisieze (sparingly) on the threads.

Some times the sensor socket can flex during the removal if the sensor is really stuck in there. I will cut the lead off at the old sensor and use a regular six point socket to do the removal then the special socket to install the new one since it will require a lot less force. Just so I'm not misunderstood, disconnect the old sensor at the plug as usual, then cut the lead that is part of the old sensor off, use regular socket to remove, use sensor socket to install new one, plug in.

Will hopefully be doing it this weekend, thanks for the help guys.

Back