• Register Today It's free!

96 explorer help...

littlezell

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
I have a 96 explorer....recently the converter clogged up on me....so I cut them off and welded a universal in place... it runs but it has a miss to it and 9 freaking codes.... I have replaced all my sensors so why I am having all this codes come up just doesnt make any sense to me...thanks for the help..

p1121
po443
po136
p0141
p1401
p1130
p1131
po174
p1120

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you cleared the codes after you did all the fixes?

what I did..over time I replaced sensors as codes came up... well the cat clogged up on me and causes all these codes to come up again.. where do I need to start...there has to be one sensor that will thro all of these outta wack...

I understand what you did, but did you take a scan tool and clear ALL the codes after you replaced the cat? Also I highly suggest never using a universal cat, they have more issues then a factory replacement one. If you never cleared the codes they will still be there even if the parts are working as they should, some need to be cleared, some go away after a few drive cycles.

after replaceing the cat I drove it around and those codes came up.... now before the cat clogged up on me there was noo codes in the computer..becasue I had replaced all the sensors and vacuum lines....

after replaceing the cat I drove it around and those codes came up.... now before the cat clogged up on me there was noo codes in the computer..becasue I had replaced all the sensors and vacuum lines....

OK, I just wanted to make sure you didn't have pre existing codes that where now fixed, but you did not clear. Like I said above the universial cat may be your issue, I know factory replacements are more expensive, but they fit liek they are suppose to, and work like they are suppose to. The computer in the truck is set to monitor specified perimeters, and if the cheaper cat does not burn off enough that may be your issue. BUT, that is A LOT of codes, so possibly the wiring got messed up some how.

which wiring??? I had one guy come look at it and he said that because of the heat that I may have slightly bent a push rod?? I am soo fed up with this thing I have have tempted just to sell it and the 94 explorer thats a parts truck.... tired of looking at this thing...

ok update.....still having problems tho..... I found a sensor was not plugged in all the way. and I am down to 2 codes... po443 which it states Evap Emission Control system purge valve c fault... what does that mean?? I also have a po141 which I know that is an o2 senser its not hooked up.. just gotta change it out...

ok update.....still having problems tho..... I found a sensor was not plugged in all the way. and I am down to 2 codes... po443 which it states Evap Emission Control system purge valve c fault... what does that mean?? I also have a po141 which I know that is an o2 senser its not hooked up.. just gotta change it out...

Not bad, so you are really only down to one code. This code may have something to do with the gas take EVAP system, it traps the fumes, and recirculates them into the system.

Check out this thread, it seems to have some helpful information...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231925

This one really seems to be good.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201047

thanks..... hopefully I will have it running in a few days....

Back