96 explorer horn stuck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 explorer horn stuck

Reaction score
City, State
Millerstown,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994, Ford Explorer Sport
I was replacing the cruise control switches on a 96 explorer and had the horn switches out and all and now when I put it back together if the bolts holding the center on are any tighter than finger tight the horn goes off the second I touch the negative cable to the terminal, I can't find anything online to point me in the right direction and I was wondering if anyone might know what's going on here

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to reply 5 years later but I am having the same problem on 1996 explorer 4.0 OHV XLT. I put in replacement cruise control switches from the juck yard. Had to add a washer to each of the two screws holding the left cruise switch in (cause the plastic had broken where the screws penetrate the switch). I think this threw off the alignment of the center (horn button/airbag). Horn will blow almost constantly. I will remove the left switch tomorrow and see if that's it and report back.

Sorry to reply 5 years later but I am having the same problem on 1996 explorer 4.0 OHV XLT. I put in replacement cruise control switches from the juck yard. Had to add a washer to each of the two screws holding the left cruise switch in (cause the plastic had broken where the screws penetrate the switch). I think this threw off the alignment of the center (horn button/airbag). Horn will blow almost constantly. I will remove the left switch tomorrow and see if that's it and report back.
Plastic washers?

Plastic washers?
I used metal washers. Today I removed them and the horn stopped it's blowing. Those washers definitely threw off the mounting of the horn switch/airbag unit. Now I have to rig some way to secure the switch so it doesn't just flop around.

I'd just cut a washer from thin plastic as a work around. Could use a hole punch for the inner hole. If that would stabilize the switch.

Back