96 Explorer power windows stopped working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Explorer power windows stopped working

JackTN

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Limited
Bought a 96 Explorer 3 days ago. A/C doesn't work, but that's a separate issue I'll bring up in another thread. The power windows all worked, except the rear driver's side which the seller said he thought was a blown fuse. The sunroof worked too. So, I figured I'll just drive with the windows down since it's 90 degrees this time of year. The next day, the front driver's side window cable broke, so it's stuck in the "up" position. Had a mechanic check it and he confirmed it was a broken cable because the window motor was spinning but the window wouldn't go down. That was annoying, but the passenger side windows and the sunroof still worked. Yesterday, I went to open them and they didn't work. Not from the driver's door controls or any of the other door switches. Sunroof stopped working at the same time. Power locks DO work, though. I checked all of the fuses that have anything to do with the power windows and they're good.

Thanks to this forum, I found several helpful threads that indicated it was probably the Power Window Relay under the dash, the big one labeled "Accy". I replaced the relay and the windows/sunroof still don't work. Some other threads here suggested a broken wire, but I'm not comfortable with wiring/soldering and I can't afford to shell out for a mechanic to do it. Any ideas/suggestions? It's like driving in an oven with all the windows closed.

Edit: the power seats still work too, and the 4WD indicators on the dash come on and off intermittently.

Well, if it is a broken wire and you can't do it and won't pay someone then you are at an impasse. Often the wires break in the boot near the door hinges because they flex every time the door is opened and shut.

You could pull the boot back and inspect those wires to see if you can find one with a problem. If you do, soldering is a fairly common skill so it shouldn't be too hard to find someone local to do it cheap even if you have to post an ad on craigslist to find somebody who isn't going to want an arm and a leg to do what is 5-10 minutes of work once (IF) you find broken wire(s).

Alternatively you could just buy a cheap soldering iron/solder/heatshrink tubing and learn to solder by practicing on some scrap wire similar in size, and multi-stranded like the vehicle wiring. Some soldering tasks require a fair amount of experience and technique but twisting a couple of (maybe 14 or 16 ga.?) wires together and soldering them... not so much, although a better repair would be to add a new piece of wire long enough that it allows you to slip both solder joints back out of the flexing area since those wires are already fatigued and the solder joints will make them have to flex at an even sharper radius.

Window motor spinning but window not moving could also be destroyed bushings... at least I "think" I vaguely recall that was a semi-common problem as explorers age. Here's a writeup with a lot of pics though it's for a 1st gen. explorer:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145469

Back