96 Explorer Starts when Cold and Loses Power | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Explorer Starts when Cold and Loses Power

chief44444

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XL
Hi,

I've read a few threads, but cannot find anything that matches my problem. My explorer (4.0) starts great the first time of the day or after sitting for a while. But I cannot run a 20 minute errand and expect it to start again. It cranks, almost catches, or catches and idles at 200-400 and then dies. This has happened for the last 2 months.

Further, the rig recently started losing power under load. e.g. going uphills. I replaced the 02 sensor and fuel filter. The battery spark plug cables look fine.

So my next guess is fuel pump, but when I turn the key I can hear the damned thing whine, so I know it's at least partially working. Advice is welcome!! Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Updated

I just put in new plugs and replaced all the sensors in the power distribution box to no avail. :(

Sorry I meant to say relays. I replaced 6 relays in the power distribution box under the hood (driver's side). It did not affect the symptoms (losing power and not starting). I'm replacing the fuel pump and will try the ECT if that doesn't work. Thanks!!!

Sorry I meant to say relays. I replaced 6 relays in the power distribution box under the hood (driver's side). It did not affect the symptoms (losing power and not starting). I'm replacing the fuel pump and will try the ECT if that doesn't work. Thanks!!!

A suggestion might be to check fuel pressure both when cranking and after it starts. Memory fails me regarding '96 model precisely, but I THINK it still had a return fuel line to the tank. If so, this adds several possibilities to cause of symptoms.

Fuel pump: Check valve built into pump- if it leaks a bit, pressure is not maintained at the injectors to sustain quick re-starting.

Fuel pressure regulator (on fuel rails)- if faulty, failing to maintain pressure at adequate level, re-starting can be difficult.

Injectors- They are also check valves in their own right, and must maintain pressure when not delivering fuel, such as after eng. shut-down. If they (proly only one, not likely ALL) bleed fuel pressure away after engine shut-off, the double-whammy of flooded engine AND no immediate fuel availability until pump builds it back up occurs when re-start is attempted.

Above based on system WITH return line........Just my own thoughts here, FW they are worth.... imp

sounds similar to an issue I'm having with mine

Back