96 Explorer transmission issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Explorer transmission issues

exp09

Reaction score
Hey I'm kinda new to the explorerforum and I've been experiencing some problems with the transmission on my 96 XLT with the 6cylinder motor (has about 196,000 miles on it). I thought it was the infamous valve body issue that I've been reading about on the forums since the transmission seemed to be slipping, or "soft shifting" into 3rd gear.
Anyway I think it finally gave out a few days ago. There was a weird grinding noise downshifting out of 4th, and when i stoppped the car stalled. I managed to get it home by giving it alot of gas to get going, once it was moving it was fine but there was alot of hesitation and some grinding. Its currently parked and drive won't engage at all.
Wanted to know if anyone out there knows whats going on with the transmission, is it the simple and cheaper valvebody fix, or do i need a whole new transmission? thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey I'm kinda new to the explorerforum and I've been experiencing some problems with the transmission on my 96 XLT with the 6cylinder motor (has about 196,000 miles on it). I thought it was the infamous valve body issue that I've been reading about on the forums since the transmission seemed to be slipping, or "soft shifting" into 3rd gear.
Anyway I think it finally gave out a few days ago. There was a weird grinding noise downshifting out of 4th, and when i stoppped the car stalled. I managed to get it home by giving it alot of gas to get going, once it was moving it was fine but there was alot of hesitation and some grinding. Its currently parked and drive won't engage at all.
Wanted to know if anyone out there knows whats going on with the transmission, is it the simple and cheaper valvebody fix, or do i need a whole new transmission? thanks.

What was the maint history? Was the fluid burnt? Flashing O/D?

What can you do now?
Drop the pan and look for clues (broken bands, gears, filter clogs, etc).

There may be others who can give specifics. But that noise does not sound good.

200K miles is a great run for a 4R55E trans. It is probably time for a rebuild.

What was the maint history? Was the fluid burnt? Flashing O/D?

What can you do now?
Drop the pan and look for clues (broken bands, gears, filter clogs, etc).

There may be others who can give specifics. But that noise does not sound good.

200K miles is a great run for a 4R55E trans. It is probably time for a rebuild.

I was thinking the same thing, maybe time for a new tranny, not sure how much i should be looking to spend for it.THe maintaince history has been routine, according to the previous owner,mainly oil changes and tires. It wasnt in the best shape when I bought it, it still had the original belts and steering pump was making noises. Aside from the transmission and a little sluggish (high mileage I guess) it ran pretty well. It had a recent oil change and I was getting ready to do a serious tune up but then this happened.

I accidentally double posted this thread in another forum on here and got some responses:

Welcome to this forum! It sounds like a problem with the torque converter. You said that it makes a grinding noise, and slips in drive. How is it in reverse? You have high mileage, so it could be transmission or transfer case related.
and
Just curious is it a Rear Axle (differential gears gone)?

Grinding/Hesitation and slowly limping home sounds like this too.

The O/D light was flashing and it used to go on and off sometimes but usually went away after a few seconds, or after pressing the O/D button.

Now as for looking for clues I've got to go find a flat spot to drop the pan since my driveway is on a nasty slope :mad:

hard to quote a price for someone else's parts and labor. we don't know where you are located and what the local averages might be in your part of the country.

I suggest that you shop around at local transmission shops and even compare the "name brand" repair shops in your area. the first thing that you need to determine is "IF" you actually need an overhaul.

get someone to read the codes that should be there.

have the fluid and filter changed by a transmission mechanic so he can see what debris may be in the pan.

the locals, here, in Mississippi quote people $1200 to $1800 without even batting a eyelid. you need to find someone that you can trust to check it out for you if you can't check it for yourself.....jmho.
............jjf

Hey guys havn't been here for a while...this trans has a major mechanical failure and probably severe internal damage that will require more than a couple hard parts inside + the cost of the rebuild. Best bet is a good core and have that rebuilt or get a good running unit from the junkyard and take your chances.

same problem

I had the same problem which I nursed until I was forced to do something about it. I dropped the pan and found parts of the band from the front seal (I was told) in the bottom of the pan......not good to say the least. Now the tranny has to be replaced. Looking for a reasonably priced one, but I'm guessing that's what the problem is.
Good luck

Back