96 Explorer with Cobra engine

amfabis

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer Cobra
Hi all,
A few years ago my husband and I bought a 1996 Ford Exporer with a Cobra 5.0 engine. We don't know much about explorers, but our mechanic got really excited the first time he worked on the car said the engine looks factory installed, and that the car may have been custom ordered from Ford. I searched the VIN history but can't tell from that whether it was custom. I called Ford to see but they immediately told me "we dont put Cobra engines in Explorers so it must be a modification", but I dont think they looked up the VIN history based on how quickly they answered me on the phone.

Basically, we are looking to sell it and we are wondering whether the cobra engine adds value or detracts from it, and who would be intererested in purchasing the car (should we just put it on craigslist or is there a place to advertise to Explorer or Ford enthusiasts?).

Its in amazing mechanical shape for having 206,000 miles on it, and runs great. We are just interested in getting something with more fuel economy (it only gets 16mpg).

Any information you all can give us would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Welcome to this forum! The 8th digit of the vin # is your engine code. You will have to purchase an elite membership if you want to advertise it being for sale. Ask the mechanic is he wants to buy it.

Thanks! The engine code is P which I found online to mean V8 5L gasoline, but that could apply to the Cobra or a standard engine I believe? We'll consider advertising it here as well as ohe places. Thanks again,

Could this be the Troll? Is it tan by chance?

Back